Author Topic: water pump 280 with A-C  (Read 2682 times)

andy

water pump 280 with A-C
« on: October 06, 2004, 11:32:28 »
HI ALL,
SEEM TO HAVE A LEAK AT THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE AROUND THE WATER PUMP AREA.I HAVE READ ALL THE INFO ON THE SITE REGUARDING THIS,BUT WOULD LIKE MORE ADVICE PLEASE.CAR IS A 71 US WITH AIR CON.IT LOOKS FOR SURE THAT THE HOOD MUST COME OFF,BUT WHAT ABOUT THE RAD.ALSO I WILL HAVE ACCESS TO A LIFT SO I CAN TACKLE THE JOB FROM UNDERNEATH IF ITS EASIER.ANYBODYS PAST EXPERENCES WOULD BE WELCOME.I WILL BE ORDERING THE PART VIA SLS IN GERMANY,THEY QUOTE TO SIZES,ANY WAY OF KNOWING WHAT ONE I NEED IN ADVANCE.
THANKS
ANDY
SPAIN

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: water pump 280 with A-C
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 08:49:24 »
Andy,

Sorry to see that nobody replied to you, as I know there are members here who have replaced water pumps, myself not included.

What I can tell you is that the hood does come off.  You need to take special precaution with the spring rod that supports the hood when open.  Use an S-hook to hold it up to the hood.  I've not removed a hood, but I believe I recall reading that you should mark the position of the hinges as it's very difficult to get the hood aligned properly when reassembling.  Also, there may be spacer washers in the hinges, locate them before removal so you can reassemble properly.  These hoods were hand fit to each car.

If the car is on a lift, the radiator can be removed and dropped out the bottom of the engine bay.  Otherwise, with the hood off, you can lift it out the top.

I would think the job would be easier from underneath with a lift because the hood is difficult to remove/replace.

I'm suprised that SLS can't determine exactly what part you need if you provide your chassis number and engine number.  Contact Tom Hanson (great parts guy at California, USA MB dealer) at halfviking@yahoo.com and provide your numbers to him.  He can provide the precise part number.  I've never received a wrong part from Tom.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

German Dude

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 09:38:07 »
Andy,
while I do not know about water pump room restrictions in a 71 US ac Pagoda, I do know that you don't want to remove the hood unless you really really have to. Removing the radiator should give you access to the fan bolts, but that is the opinion of a guy with a 64 no-ac no-viscous-clutch Pagoda...

Regarding the pump itself: I just ordered one from Niemoeller in Germany (www.niemoeller.de), and the guy on the phone could tell me right away which one I needed - I guess he'd be able to help you too.

Good luck with the project.

Juergen
64 230SL #2933, 4sp, signal red, white hard top
93 Citroen XM station wagon

andy

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 11:05:19 »
thank you,for your advice and links guys,i have some free time next week when i shall make a start,makes sence to get the rad reconditioned while its out, i shall try to to get it sorted like those high efficency rads i have read about,trying to explain that in spainish should be fun,{albert in barcelona,i might need help}.
thanks again.
andy
spain.