Author Topic: Electric Sunroof?  (Read 2487 times)

TA250SL

Electric Sunroof?
« on: October 03, 2004, 01:20:36 »
I recently met a pagoda owner from  a general Mercedes website who told me about his car with an electric sunroof.  The power lead came up the driver's side windshield pillar and had a connection like that of the heated rear window option.  When he replaced the headliner he noticed that the track was spot welded and looked very factory, and the motor and mechanical parts had what appeared to be MB part numbers.  I believe the car was built in 1969 or 70.  Has anyone ever seen or heard of such a factory option, or might it be just a very good aftermarket install?  

Tom

Douglas

Re: Electric Sunroof?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 16:27:53 »
Tom,

My understanding is that the sunroof was not officially offered by the factory, but they would outsource a sunroof installation from time to time when it was requested.

Go to this link for one of a couple previous threads on this topic.

http://sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=1279

You'll see a link to some nice pix of a German example.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

hauser

Re: Electric Sunroof?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 22:03:38 »
A few months ago on ebay Germany a pagoda roof was offered for auction.  This top featured a mechanical sunroof.  I don't remember what it sold for, maybe in the 1,500.00 range.  I found out through a very reliable souce that the roof was being shipped to the U.S. for restoration.

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.