Author Topic: Water temperature gauge  (Read 3907 times)

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Water temperature gauge
« on: August 29, 2004, 13:40:57 »
Today, when I was attempting to fix my speedometer/odometer (see separate post), in order to reach it, I pulled out the centre instrument cluster an inch or so, after unhooking the oil pressure line from the back. I took the opportunity to clean the inside of the glass of the centre cluster; the chrome rim came off surprisingly easy and cleaning the glass made a huge difference.

However ... when I went for my test drive, I noticed a hospital-like smell in the cabin (like aether) and started to worry - this is what other owners have reported to let us know the capillary tube that runs from the engine block to the temperature gauge was broken. Sure enough, the temp gauge needle did not budge as the engine warmed up, and after a couple of miles the smell came back pretty strong once more. I understand that, once broken, the tube cannot be repaired.

I checked the catalogs, and a complete new unit runs about $250 (ouch!). My questions are:

- whether it is possible to just attach a new tube, or whether a complete new unit is neessary

- how to avoid damage while installing the new unit, as I thought I was being careful enough not to risk this problem as I was working on the instrument cluster; apparently these tubes are very accident-prone?

As always, thank you for any tips, trics etc etc.

What was a bit fristrating is that, after some 4 hours of slowly working my way through taking out the tach, center cluster, then the speedo (was not able to fix this), I ended up being worse off that when I started  :( . The only good things are that I now have a clean center cluster glass, and when I go back in to do it all over again, I will be able to do it faster - like maybe 3,5 hours!

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Re: Water temperature gauge
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 15:08:07 »
Cess .... The gauge can be repaired by a good instrument shop (definately not a do-it-yourself).  I could recommend a shop in the US but it would not help you very much.

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

Malc

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 02:15:06 »
Cees,
Britsh cars form the 50's to the 70's used a Smiths instruments capillary type temp gauge, which you might be able to adapt. THey are cheap, about £40 (60 Euro???)

However you might want to check out magazines such as "Practical Classics" and "Classic cars" (UK publications) for instrument repairs in the UK and Europe rather than sending it all the way to the USA

I am pretty sure you can get these publications in Holland, if not I can look up a few names and addresses for you

Cheers
Malc

mulrik

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 02:45:54 »
Cees, I recently also pulled my temp gauge out of function. I have identified a guy here in Denmark who is able to refill and fix your meter. Here's is the URL on his homepage.
http://www.folmers-auto.dk/
Don't know if he speaks Dutch or English, but if you want I can help you get through to him.
Ulrik

'67 250 SL Papyrus White 113043-10-000023

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 09:30:07 »
Cees,

Send an email to Palo Alto Speedometer, and find out if they can fix this.  They did all of mine, although mine was not in the condition yours is in.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid