Author Topic: noise in the rear of the car  (Read 2693 times)

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
noise in the rear of the car
« on: August 27, 2004, 00:43:55 »
Hey Group,
When I drive my car I hear a clunk clunk clunk noise in the rear of the car ALL the time.

I thought it maybe a brake pad rubbing on a rotor, but a friend said he thought the noise might be the left side Rear wheel bearing.

I also had a thought that maybe it could be the center bearing of the drive shaft or the center bearing support bush?

What do you think? Is it likely?

Background history,
About 2 months ago I took the car to the local MB Service group for them to inspect the rear end so that I could order parts from the USA.
They said that the back (near the axle) universal joint of the drive shaft needs to be replaced, and also the axle rubber bushings.

A Comment about the axle,
I don’t know if the axle is the original one because I looked for the axle ratio and the flat surface where it is supposed to be has been ground clean.

Is it possible that the number is located elsewhere? This is where I looked, see borrowed pic below

If not, then is the axle a replacement and how can I determine the ratio?
Is it important to know the ratio? My car does 60 MPH at 3200 RPM approximately.

As usual I have many Questions: -
Will the WORN bearing be at the "wheel end" of the shaft or will it be the “internal” bearing of the axle housing?

Should I have both left and right side wheel bearings replaced at the same time?

I have been reading the posts everywhere … I see that there are different bearings for each side. Are they readily available generically or should I buy MB parts?

Will the drive shaft have to be removed completely or will it split apart at the center?

Does the axle need to be dismantled to replace the wheel bearings?

Will I need a new Axle Rubber Boot?

Do the brakes have to be disconnected? Or are the (rebuilt 2002) Brake calipers removed from the axle and allowed to dangle so to speak?

I ask because this seems like a good time to replace the brake fluid and also the Axle/Diff oil.

Download Attachment: Axle_Ratio Location.jpg
27.77 KB

Thanks, all replies welcome

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: noise in the rear of the car
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 07:51:52 »
Just to cover the possibility, here is a link to my msg about a clunk in my trunk...cured by replacing the axle mount accessed through the black cover in the front end of the trunk...

http://index.php?topic=1336

Richard M
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 15:00:12 »
Bob,

The ratio is stamped.  You may have to dig out the grime that's filled the stamped numbers.  Also, that's not where my axle ratio is stamped.  Mine's in the rear of the diff. housing on a flat half-circle surface.  The location depends on the age of the diff., mine's older so it's on the back.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 00:59:24 »
Hey Richard and Rodd,
Thanks for the input.

Richard,
I have already replaced that mount, made a great difference to the ride of the car.

Rodd,
I will have a look because my car is an early 250sl with lots of similar things to the 230sl.
Is it stamped on the axle left side or right side housing?

I have been thinking... I think the noise might be coming from that drive shaft universal joint and not the bearing.... any thoughts?

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best