Author Topic: Soft top spring missing  (Read 2827 times)

German Dude

Soft top spring missing
« on: August 26, 2004, 05:46:17 »
Hi all,

my favorite pastime these days is jumping around my pagoda like a fool holding my MB parts catalog to see whether stuff is missing.

Yesterday, I rummaged through the soft top compartment and found out that one of the two large springs is awol.

What does it do? Do I need it? I mean, the top folds up and down nicely, so it is not too high on my priority list. Should I move it up?

Thanks,

Juergen
64 230SL #2933, 4sp, signal red, white hard top
93 Citroen XM station wagon

n/a

Re: Soft top spring missing
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 07:39:43 »
I just restored my softtop frame and compartment. Like you one large spring was missing, actually I had seen it rolling around inside the compartment years ago and put it aside. The reason mine detached (and I suspect yours) is the steel mounting leg had broken off. Look closely at the opposite side to see if a 3" leg is missing. Luckily I had saved this broken leg too, and was now able to weld it back onto frame.
My large spring is now re-attached. Also the smaller spring was detached from this side, it too mounts on the same leg.

The large spring purpose seems to be provides tension towards extending the top, just like a garage door spring it helps to raise the top. The small spring purpose seems to be retracting the rear bow so it can fit inside the compartment.

Mike McMahon, Baltimore MD
1970 280SL 4-speed manual
olive green ext, bamboo int

hauser

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 20:25:56 »
Most likely the mounting point for the spring is broken.  You would be a very luck man if your problem were just the spring.  I have the same problem and will have to get the frame rebuilt.  Of course this would be the best time to replace my canvas.  The downside $3,000.00 USD to have this professionally done. :?

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

German Dude

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 04:11:40 »
Count me among the lucky then - the mount is there and operational. The soft top was almost brand new when I bought the car in February. So I will just buy a new spring, put it in, and hope for an even smoother fold-up-fold-down process!

Juergen
64 230SL #2933, 4sp, signal red, white hard top
93 Citroen XM station wagon