Author Topic: value of our cars  (Read 2776 times)

n/a

value of our cars
« on: August 22, 2004, 21:00:44 »
Does anyone know of a publication or internet source for current costs or values of our cars?  Edmunds only goes back to 1980 from what I can see.  The Mercedes Star Magazine shows ads for what people are asking for various vehicles.  I cannot find a resource for what people spend for them.
I am offering my car for sale.  The restoration cost is well over $30,000 with Mercedes shop engine rebuild and a bare metal repaint, new soft top with soft top frame, all new interior with leather and new carpet.
I would like to offer my car at a fair price.  It seems that the prices are all over the place, with people asking well over $30K for restored cars.
Any thoughts on how to establish a value?
Thanks,
Don

hauser

Re: value of our cars
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 21:19:01 »
Don sometimes you can get a better price if you were to consign it with people like Roy Spenser or Alex Dearborn.  If you are patient enough it's a matter of waiting for the right person at the right time.

The auto trader on line was a good idea.  Did you also put it in their publication?  You can also ask yourself where would you look if you were looking for a 280sl? Have you tried Hemmings?

As far as prices go you may want to check with www.slmarket.com

Hope this helps!

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

Malc

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 04:17:45 »
Got to be careful here....
You will only get what somebody is prepared to pay and it all depends on what your market is like, what's in fashion etc etc. Agree with Hauser's comments

Prices in the UK range from 1000 pounds for a basket case up to 23K for a condition 1 car, note these prices are whats being asked, not what has been paid.

Finally the good old 1980's prices for classic cars is long gone in the UK. I have restored a couple of cars over the last few years and as it's a hobby there is no labour costs, but both of the cars I have done are not worth anything like the time and money I poured into them. Do love them though!

Best advise, either wait or be realistic
Malc
Scotland

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 11:09:02 »
The SL Market Letter actually tracks the SELLING prices of cars, not the ASKING prices, when available.  They have been publishing their Market Letter for quite some time and have lots of historical data.  They do price trends.  I would visit their site and subscribe.  The also collect For Sale ads from many sources and compile them into their publication.  They also make sure they don't run more than two issues in their publication, so you don't have old stale ads.  You might want to pay the consulting fee to speak with Mr. Olsen, he's very knowledgable.  We did an article on him in the first Pagoda World.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL