Author Topic: Replacement option data plate.  (Read 8963 times)

atuningley

Replacement option data plate.
« on: December 28, 2011, 23:43:58 »
I have been 6 years and a small fortune restoring my 670 250 and I am down to the last few details.  I removed the option plate at the start of the project to save it from further damage but it is terribly corroded and really will not look good when I put it back inplace.

Is anyone aware of where I can get a replacement tag made? I have talked to local steel stamping suppliers and because the letters are raised not stamped in they say it would be very expensive to make a new tag.

The tag is just good enough to make out the numbers which do match my data card info that I obtained but it will look bad in such a beautiful engine compartment.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Replacement option data plate.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 00:47:44 »
A member of the German group is planning to reproduce them.
Follow this topic: http://www.pagodentreff.de/diskussionsforum/t9501-typenschild-f-r-farbcode.html
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 00:47:53 »
Maybe you could strip the paint with a chemical paint remover and clean up the numbers well enough to repaint it.  If it is not dented or bent this may work.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

atuningley

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 01:08:39 »
A member of the German group is planning to reproduce them.
Follow this topic: http://www.pagodentreff.de/diskussionsforum/t9501-typenschild-f-r-farbcode.html

Thanks 66andBlue.  I tried the link but unfortunately it is in German and I am not very good with my German, but have good friends who do have German so I will try it.  Still hoping for a more local solution.

atuningley

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:10:28 »
Maybe you could strip the paint with a chemical paint remover and clean up the numbers well enough to repaint it.  If it is not dented or bent this may work.
Thanks Brad, but it is so corroded I nearly needed a forensic lab to get all the numbers.

major

• Junior Level
  • Denmark, Ringkobing, Struer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 05:34:30 »
Thanks Brad, but it is so corroded I nearly needed a forensic lab to get all the numbers.

Hi
Denmark calling.
I am in contact with the German guy and he told me yesterday, that in about two month, he will get the machine to make these signs or tags.
You can find the same statement on the before mentioned German "pagodentreff.de" forum.

Regards
Kristian

johnwallis

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 23:19:22 »
Hi Al T
You can have  the correct tag made now in the UK By Vintagsuk.com they are reverse pressed like the original.
I have one made for my 250SL last year.
John Wallis

SilverSpear

• Senior
  • Saudi Arabia, Ar Riyāḑ, Riyadh
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 09:54:47 »
Hi Al T
You can have  the correct tag made now in the UK By Vintagsuk.com they are reverse pressed like the original.
I have one made for my 250SL last year.
John Wallis

Hello John,

How much did it costed you?
Early 67 Pagoda 250SL - Under comprehensive restoration

johnwallis

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 19:52:07 »
Hi al T
it was about £40 He also made a VIN tag and seatbelt tag for me with the numbers embossed would you like a picture? if so I will upload one
John

SilverSpear

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 15:26:27 »
Hi al T
it was about £40 He also made a VIN tag and seatbelt tag for me with the numbers embossed would you like a picture? if so I will upload one
John

Yes please!

johnwallis

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 16:16:13 »
Hi
I hope this works!
This is the code tag  I had made I will dig out the others but and take some pictures nest week but you will see thay are embossed from the back like a credit card. I looked for a long time then emailed a picture of the old one and he did the rest.

johnwallis

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 16:30:44 »
Hi AL T
This is the ond and new VIN tag   Vintagsuk.com  I know the pressed numbers are a bit big but it was  worth it and it will look so good next to the new Firwall Pad.  I think he does the embossing and the printing is done elsewhere.
John

SilverSpear

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 17:12:54 »
John, thank you for sharing!

I can tell from the pictures that the engraved numbers are not of the same size/font as original. The printing looks good though.

Can you please confirm?

johnwallis

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 17:23:45 »
Hi yes the pressed numbers are bigger He did not have the correct size/font  at the time, he may do now but it looks so much better than the original  and I am happy.

SilverSpear

• Senior
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 18:47:51 »
Hi yes the pressed numbers are bigger He did not have the correct size/font  at the time, he may do now but it looks so much better than the original  and I am happy.

Yup... I will get in touch with him... Thanks!