Author Topic: From Boise to St. Louis & back  (Read 4643 times)

TR

From Boise to St. Louis & back
« on: July 12, 2005, 14:58:16 »
As Tim in Grand Island, NE knows, I was planning on driving the 280SL from Boise to St. Louis.  But at the last moment the clutch master cylinder & slave went out, so we had no choice but to resort to an alternate vehicle.  Still, in that back-up rig we were able to do over 3,000 miles with the top down.
Just returned to Boise, and the 280SL should be up and rolling before too long.
In the meantime here's a couple of pics.  Can anyone see the new auto-dimming mirror?
Download Attachment: a.jpg
74.75 KB
Download Attachment: b.jpg
68.34 KB
Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

Douglas

Re: From Boise to St. Louis & back
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 15:18:38 »
Is it just me or do Cees' Volvo and your CLK look extremely similar? Is it just the angle?
(Nice Pagoda! I like the light top. They're more trouble to keep clean, but worth it.)
Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

TR

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 19:24:39 »
Douglas -- Yes, I see some similarities ... certainly the angle of the shot.  But the backgrounds are vastly different, eh?!  
BTW, that's Dinosauer Nat'l Mounment in the background, and the canyon was carved by the Green River...located in NW Colorado.
These are the first photos I've posted.  I was surprised how small they have to be for the site.  I'll try to set up a little homepage so that larger, higher resolution pictures can be posted next time.
Tom in Boise

tdun824259

• Regular
  • USA, NE, Grand Island
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 20:27:42 »
Tom,
Good to hear you arrived home in one piece.  What a great trip, this truly is a beautiful country and those are two beautiful cars.  Why didn't you post any Nebraska pics.
8)   Hopefully, next year we can hook up in the 280's.
Tim
tdun824259
1971 280 SL

TR

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 21:13:15 »
Tim -- Yes indeed, next year in Grand Island is something we should shoot for.  My wife, Carol, and I are both looking forward to some of your special home made ice cream!
You know, I wish I'd had the camera while we were at the Archway Monument in Kearney (http://www.archway.org/default.php)...because that's where we saw several of the Great Race cars.  That really was terrific, and the Archway Monument was surprisingly good too.  (A heck of a lot better than the Oz museum we stopped at in Kansas).
Tom in Boise