W113 Pagoda SL Group > W11x chassis cars

help needed removing trigger points for injectors in lower distributor (M116 )

<< < (3/4) > >>

rutger kohler:
Hi, I agree with Don, but it's obvious I have a lot to learn.

Yesterday I drained the petrol (gas) tank, and replaced the fuel filter (Part no 0 450 905 007). Replaced the fuel and ran the electric pump up this morning. Still at 24 psi so I increased the pressure on the 3 way pressure regulator to 28psi. When trying to start the car still popping and back firing so I have removed the distributor and taken out the injector trigger points. 

I was hoping for them to be badly clogged up or a wire off, but they seem to be in good shape. Have sprayed them with a degrease spray and then an electonic cleaner and will let them dry out over night.  photos attached of the trigger mechanism, the first from the top, the second from the bottom and lastly a shot of the side of the distributor showing the model number.

I have marked the distributor inside where the rotor is located, before removing it and also marked the slot where the securing allen cap screw goes.  Have moved the distributor as little as possible and am hoping it will go back in the same place?

It is clear my problem lays elsewhere in the D Jetronic system.  It has been suggested I check the vacuum hose to the MAP for holes however the hose disappears into the back of the engine, how do you get to take the bottom of the hose off?

Benz Dr.:
I would add a bit more fuel pressure up to 30 PSI. Tiger points need to be really clean so after you hit them with electrical cleaner open up each set and blow them dry. I would would also check the resistance of the coolant and air temp tensors. If you have the BBB that we often refer to on this site it will have all of the information you need to check this stuff.

The vacuum line going to the MPS can have cracks in it from age. It's possible to reach behind the engine and undo the clamp that holds it on to the intake manifold - I would replace it as a mater of course. The unfortunate thing about these engines is they are very prone to vacuum leaks and they never run well if that's the case. If find that you have to attack each job separately but do it all together like replacing all of the rubber seals on the intake manifold. Not a hard system to learn about but not easy either.   

ja17:
Yes, sounds like you have a low fuel pressure problem. Also, if you turn just the key on (engine not running), open the throttle slowly, all the way, you should hear the throttle switch click all the injectors twenty times on a full stroke of the throttle.

stickandrudderman:
Whenever I’m presented with the task of getting these running well the very first thing I do is break out the smoke machine and conduct an intake system integrity test. This will quickly expose and leaking injector seals or vacuum pipes and these must be addressed before you can hope to achieve smooth running.

Benz Dr.:
I agree. A smoke machine really finds the vacuum leaks. Many shops have them and should be able to test your system for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version