Author Topic: reservelight fuel keeps burning  (Read 4208 times)

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
reservelight fuel keeps burning
« on: May 04, 2011, 17:49:51 »
As the title says, my reservelight keeps on burning even when the tank is full. I cleaned the fuelsender unit (metal tube model). All insidewires are intact inside (3). The scale of the fuelmeter works, allthough it sometimes jumps high and low when the tank is less than half. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 16:12:25 by pablo_o2 »

al_lieffring

Re: reservelight fuel keeps burning
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 15:08:43 »
Does the light go out when the sender is unpulgged? The reserve light is a seperate circuit from the guage indicator. When the circuit is groudnd the lamp in the dash comes on. So somewhere (my guess is inside the float sensor) the circuit is making contact with ground.

pablo_o2

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 16:11:25 »
Yes, the light goes off when disconnected

al_lieffring

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 20:39:52 »
this would mean that the "short" to ground is either inside the float sensor, or another possibility could be the three wires are not installed in the plug in the correct positions.

pablo_o2

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 07:03:57 »
thanks Al I will check the wires in the plug cause the floater seems allright

pablo_o2

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 17:55:14 »
Ok, I found the problem. After changing the wires inside the connector it was obvious that there was nothing wrong with them. So I took the floater out again and inspected it better this time. Underneed there's another small nut that holds a plastic washer, after unscrewing I noticed that the 2 contacts were constantly connected because of a sort of scum caused by the lead (?) in the petrol over the years. After cleaning and sanding away the dirt I refitted and tested with fine result: all works well! That saved me a new petrol sending unit ;-)