Author Topic: vertical seat vents help  (Read 8015 times)

dazzpowder

vertical seat vents help
« on: March 12, 2009, 11:58:42 »
Sorry it's me again, I've so many questions and I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before I commit to a purchase.
The essential buyers guide by CVhris Bass is kinda basic and doesn't compare to the info on this fourum.

I'm looking at a 280 SL this weekend and the interior has been reupholstered, from the pictures it looks like the 2 verticle chrome/mesh  vents on both seats are misising. Did these only come with certain seats or cars? or has the upholsterer cut corners ? - excuse the pun
here is the car

http://www.chelseacars.com/detail_info2.asp?id=267&classid=13#

Thanks

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: vertical seat vents help
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 12:18:53 »
I'll weigh in...

bumpers don't look true as they wrap around the side of the car
chrome strip to rear of offside rear wheel is awol
280 I think you'd expect headrests (I know you asked this but at a guess...) Be good to know who restored the interior and what materials they used...

and they cannot take a picture in focus (or do I need new glasses?) ???
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

dazzpowder

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 14:11:43 »
your right Tosh, I had noticed the bumpers too.  I can't see which strip you say is missing but the rear off side bumper also looks as though it has a dent on closer inspection.  There asking £36950 may be a tad much?

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 14:15:04 »
it looks like the 2 verticle chrome/mesh  vents on both seats are missing.

Beware, these cost €120 each, and you'll need 4!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

dazzpowder

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 14:21:25 »
Thanks vanesp and Thanks Tosh I see which strips are missing.  Fantastic I hadn't even noticed until you mentioned it. I think my pursuit of an ideal 280SL is going to be a long one.

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 17:56:13 »
Ouch

For that money, if you NEED RHD, have a chat with Michael Lavers at Silver Arrows (google it) and see what he has. Likely to have fewer problems and more originality.....

If RHD is not a necessity, buy in the US!
James L

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 19:00:51 »
Do a search on the site for Chelsea classics. They are expensive and their cars are at times not as good as they seem. If you're not too bothered about RHD, do as Tosh says and buy from the US; you'll get a vastly better deal and shipping is a breeze. (I did it and have a good contact if needed).

To give you and idea of what you could get from the States, check out www.motoringinvestments.com
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

dazzpowder

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 22:49:00 »
I spoke with silver arrows earlier in the week hey don't have anything at the mo.  I make you right james they do seem a pricey, they generally look good at first glance but on closer inspection the restoration is never thorough.  I spoke to them (Chelsea cars) and the guy said good ones were going for £70K 've yet to see one at that price - talk about hypeing the market. 

franjo_66

• Silver
  • Australia, NSW, Point Piper
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 00:49:38 »
Dazz,

You may want to investigate buying a RHD SL from Australia. Prices for very good 230/250/280SLs are below what I have seen in the UK.

I have met two people here in Sydney who whave advertsied their SLs in the UK and sold them very quickly.

Current exchange rate is about one $AUS = 0.46UK

May be worth pursuing

Rgds
Frank
Franjo

1965 230SL Black/Auto/RHD
2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
1983 BMW 735i
1986 560 SEC
1991 500SL
1982 Holden Statesman DeVille

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 02:47:46 »
If I may add, I don't think the sunvisors are supposed to be interior color (red in this case)

Andres G

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 09:27:33 »
Dazz,

I second what Frank has said, the exchange rate at the moment makes the Australian cars appear to be very atractive option for a Euro model and with local Royal Automobile Associations  in both Sydney where Frank lives or Melbourne where I live or a mechanic that knows the Pagoda, and there are a few around, getting an inspection of any car that was in one of those cities can be quickly be arranged if you needed help. Shipping to UK is likely to add about $5K AUST and possibly less.

Garry
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 09:32:09 by Garry »
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 09:42:55 »
have a look at this one if your budget is stretchable.

It was at a club concours last year

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270352829841

the owner is a member on the site.

naj
68 280SL

dazzpowder

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 17:02:04 »
Naj - I wish!

Franjo, I was speaking to a guy out in NZ who had a red one for sale he sent me some pics and it really looks on the button, trouble is I thought he was in the process of sending the car over to the UK but it turns out he's waiting for a buyer and at this early stage I don't know enough or feel comfortable buying without seeing in the flesh.

Classic chrome says he may have a silver/red one comeing in next week for around £25K but it's a californian spec i.e no soft top just the hard top, he says it's only around £500 to have one fitted. Any truth in this?

Thanks All

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 17:58:42 »
some truth... as in it IS possible to get it converted to non-california spec but the £500 is a little shy

The California has NO softtop, so no soft top box, cover, release mech or soft top/frame. They need to go in and the seat needs to come out. It has been done - indeed there's a thread on here somewhere about it.

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=8262.0

Not being helpful - as in moving you INTO a car - are we!? :-\
James L

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 21:35:08 »
For California to normal rebuild, look at this page: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Tops.Start and follow the links. Budget over € 10,000!

Peter

1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

dazzpowder

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 20:01:51 »
I saw a 20K mile black coupe advertised on the hairpin, I didn't know it was a hard top only model until I rang to enquire I asked the guy how much he thought a conversion would cost, perhaps he was a little more realistic as he quoted around £6K BIG difference.  The car is up for £45K so I guess thats why it's priced £5K short of a soft top with similar mileage.