Author Topic: CAD plating  (Read 4199 times)

mulrik

CAD plating
« on: March 01, 2009, 16:17:30 »
Does anyone know if the servo housing (not the servo itself) was cadmium plated from the factory? This question also goes for the holder for the servo fluid reservoir! They are both cast iron, and I have no clue looking at the original. Looking in Meredith book there is a picture where they are both cadmium plated (including the alu band that goes around the servo fluid reservoir). But the engine reference picture we all refer to from time to time the aluband is not cadmium plated, nor are any other alu parts.

I have the suspicion that the picture in Meredith book is a little too shiny, and I'm anxious to know what people at the forum thinks or knows.

Best,
Ulrik
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 21:07:10 by vanesp »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: CAD plating
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 21:37:13 »
Does anyone know if the servo housing (not the servo itself) was cadmium plated from the factory? This question also goes for the holder for the servo fluid reservoir! They are both cast iron, and I have no clue looking at the original. Looking in Meredith book there is a picture where they are both cadmium plated (including the alu band that goes around the servo fluid reservoir). But the engine reference picture we all refer to from time to time the aluband is not cadmium plated, nor are any other alu parts.

I have the suspicion that the picture in Meredith book is a little too shiny, and I'm anxious to know what people at the forum thinks or knows.

Best,
Ulrik

Ulrik,

Can you be a bit more specific?  Do you mean the brake servo or booster?  Or some other part?
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 21:42:44 »
Last I checked, there was no aluminium band around the brake fluid reservoir.  Are you referring to the clutch fluid reservoir instead?  It has a metal band retainer, and also sits right next to the brake booster.
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

hkollan

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 22:10:25 »
Hi,

I assume you are referring to the steering servo. The servo pump and steering box where painted black. As for the servo fluid reservoir that is
also painted black, usually has a light green primer that shows where the black paint is worn off. The band holding the reservoir(which is not alu btw) is cad  or zinc plated. Around here the cadmium is no longer available so I usually have them  coated with white/blue zinc chromate.

Hans K, Cuenca, Spain
1968 280 SL 387 Blue met., parchment leather
1971 280 SL 462 Beige met, Brown leather
1968 280 SL 180 Silver, Red leather
1964 300 SE Lang 040 Black w/Red leather
1985 500 SL 735 Astral Silver w/Black leather
1987 560 SEC 199 Black met., Black leather

mulrik

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 08:31:36 »
Ohh sorry. I meant the steering servo reservoir, not the brake fluid reservoir. The holder that holds the servo steering fluid reservoir is actually two parts. One cast iron piece which located towards the engine and a small aluminium band (yes it is alu..) that actually holds the reservoir to the cast iron piece.

On the reference picture we all use (attached) you can clearly see that it is not cad plated but rather more pale. I was just wondering what finish the cast iron holder for the servo steering fluid reservoir came in originally?

Also the house that holds the steering servo itself. This is situated down on the lower front left side of the engine. It is also made in cast iron. According to Meredith book all parts mentioned in this post were cad plated, but looking at the reference picture this is clearly not the case.

According to a previous post all thing alu in the engine was NOT cad plated because that would destroy the alu. This fits with the reference picture.

Therefore I was interested in your opinion and knowledge outthere!! Are the holder for the sterring fluid servo reservoir and the house that holds the servo pump itself cad plated originally or what finish is original??

hkollan

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 09:09:10 »
This refers to the couple of 280 I've had apart. All those parts mentioned are black, the servo pump mounting bracket, fluid reservoir mount, all black. The band holding the fluid reservoir to the mounting bracket is not aluminum(at least not on any of the 280s I've seen.
It's a  Norma clamp, size 94mm. It could of course be something different on a 250 if that's what you are looking at.
That's not to say that differences in use  of material on a 250 and 280 does not exist, they do. I just had a discussion with a member on the german 113 board about the metal used in optional roof rack moldings found on some pagoda hardtops.
I insisted on anodized aluminum for my 1970 280, and he claimed they were brass on his late 250, since he had successfully rechromed them. Turned out they changed from brass to aluminum sometime in 1969 for those moldings.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:52:39 by hkollan »
Hans K, Cuenca, Spain
1968 280 SL 387 Blue met., parchment leather
1971 280 SL 462 Beige met, Brown leather
1968 280 SL 180 Silver, Red leather
1964 300 SE Lang 040 Black w/Red leather
1985 500 SL 735 Astral Silver w/Black leather
1987 560 SEC 199 Black met., Black leather