Author Topic: Adjusting windows  (Read 4152 times)

gauchoamigo

Adjusting windows
« on: January 30, 2009, 14:32:00 »
The side windows are both too low, leaving a gap between the hard top and the top and sides of each window.

How do I adjust the height of the windows to fit?

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Adjusting windows
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 14:54:51 »
68 280SL

gauchoamigo

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 15:01:02 »
Whew, that looks pretty complex. How would you rate the difficulty of this procedure?

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 15:12:31 »
It is complex... I've just extensively changed that page with content from the old Pagoda113 group... please look again!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 15:26:04 »
If you're lucky, all you would need to do is adjust the regulator stop bolt to allow the window to roll up further. If you're not so lucky, you may find that the glass has settled lower in the sandwich, or the lifting mechanism needs refurbishing, or the regualtor is "worn" (ie even with the stop bolt removed the window does not roll all the way up.)
The nice things about working on the doors & windows is there's no need for body contorsions (like underdash work), there's no need for special tools, low chance of sprains/strains and scraped knuckes (like underhood and undercarriage). Everything is pretty much laid out in front of you, especially because you can raise and lower the window to gain easy access to things. It is somewhat nerve racking because you're working with expensive glass. Butl if you are careful, take your time, work methodically, it is logical but requires patience. Depending upon how deep you go, take breaks and don't rush it. I had never done it before and I did both windows over about 2 weeks.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 15:43:06 »
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=10118.0

Methodical and slow, careful and do-able
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather