Author Topic: Air louvre on dash  (Read 4633 times)

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Air louvre on dash
« on: July 20, 2015, 11:07:38 »
I am currently doing some work on my dashboard. I wanted to make the fastening points of the pot metal chrome air louver a bit more "user friendly" . I am tapping the protruding metal with M4 thread die. This enables the louver assembly to be screwed in its position in the dash (instead of the factory issue "use-once" pinch clamps on the louver pins)
Note: A similar method can be applied to mount the trunk chrome lettering (type of Pagoda 230SL etc. and, if present, "Automatic")
/Hans in Sweden
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 18:21:44 by mbzse »
/Hans S

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Air louvre on dash
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 15:25:35 »
Which would prevent me from using my preferred method of removing the tacho/speedo!

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 16:15:17 »
Quote from: stickandrudderman
Which would prevent me from using my preferred method of removing the tacho/speedo
Ok, so you go in this route, by pulling the chrome air louver fittings straight out; removing the plastic air duct and then sticking your hand in to get at the thumb screw behind the instrument(?).
Right, no luck with this on my car from now on, he he
/Hans in Sweden
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:45:46 by mbzse »
/Hans S

alchemist

• Senior
  • USA, NY, GRAND ISLAND
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 15:30:36 »
Indeed removal of the louver assembly is the best method to remove the tachometer and others in the instrument panels. So, I used the plastic anchor used for dry walls and place it on the two pins, then pressed the louver assembly in place. This will allow me to remove it again when it is needed.

batman

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 01:06:22 »
Alchemist - do you have any photos as i cant quite visualise what you have done nor how you could take the louver assembly back off.

alchemist

• Senior
  • USA, NY, GRAND ISLAND
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 16:29:38 »
I do not have pictures. To take it off, remove the chrome strip below it and simply pry the air louver out. To install it, get 2 plastic anchors used for dry wall and insert them onto the 2 pins. Then push the louver in place. If you encounter resistant, use a block of wood and hammer it in place. Good Luck.

batman

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 23:01:39 »
Many thanks