Author Topic: bringing 250sl back to life  (Read 3573 times)

aaron318

bringing 250sl back to life
« on: December 30, 2007, 23:48:33 »
Hi, I'm new here and just got a 250sl that has been sitting outside in Sacramento for 12 years and want to know the bes way to get her roadworthy.  Below is a link to the BMW forum I frequent, where I got some great info, but I just wanted to run it by you guys to see it there was something else recommended. Thanks in advance, and i look forward to all he great info.
Aaron

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=101541

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: bringing 250sl back to life
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:28:52 »
Hello aaron,

Drain the fuel tank and clean the drain screen by removing the plug in the bottom of the tank. In addition you can do a visual inspection of the inside of the fuel tank, by removing the fuel gauge sending unit in the trunk under the rubber mat. Caution, gas fumes can ignite.

Next remove the main fuel filter canister and replace the main fuel filter. It is the aluminum canister which is mounted on the left front engine support. If the fuel system is really dirty you may need to remove the intake fitting on the electric fuel pump (under the car) and clean it also.

Add fresh fuel and turn on the ignition. You should hear the electric fuel pump run (under the car).

If the electric fuel pump runs but you have engine running problems, there are two items on the mechanical fuel injection pump which can get stuck from long periods of inactivity. The Warm Running Device (WRD), regulates air/fuel mixture during engine warm up. The "rack" in the injection pump can also get stuck in severe instances.  I suggest you search up and read the "injection pump tour" to familiarize yourself with these problems if needed.

Welcome to the group, keep us up to date!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 20:35:51 »
Aaron,

Just to add a bit to what Joe said:

When I got my car it had also sat for about 12 years.  I replaced all the flexible fuel lines, blew out the metal ones, took off the tank and had it cleaned and put in a new filter (draining it was no fun -- 12 year old gas really stinks!!), replaced the fuel gauge sending unit, and replaced the main fuel filter.  The one thing I didn't do was clean out the main fuel pump in the rear, and when I tried to start the car, the pump was so gummed up with old gas it burned out the electric motor before I realized what the problem was.  Fuel pumps aren't cheap!!

Chris Earnest

aaron318

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 21:39:05 »
thanks for the help so far, I am making a parts list now for everything i need to get started. In the mean time I think I will start cleaning the engine bay, by degreaser and pressuer washer.  I will try to get some pics too.  Thnaks again.
AW

hill

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 17:23:22 »
I am also located in Sacramento if you need to look at something for comparison when your shaking it down send me a note.

Happy Benzing
Darryl, Hill
350 SL4.5 #60
1967 250sl "California"

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 15:43:15 »
Aaron,

We have a few members in your area.  I highly recommend you get together with them in person to talk about your car.  You'll learn lots from other owners, especially if they bring their cars together with yours.
http://index.php?topic=7111

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL: arabian gray, natural leather, euro, auto, both tops
1994 E420: pearl black, black leather, auto (FOR SALE)
2006 C230: alabaster white, 6-speed manual, no options
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL