Author Topic: Importing a Pagoda into Switzerland  (Read 3111 times)

Abbas

Importing a Pagoda into Switzerland
« on: December 04, 2006, 11:11:18 »
Greetings,
  I have a friend who needs to bring his Pagoda to Switzerland - does
any one have previous experience with this sort of thing? - any guidelines anywhere on how to do that and what documents/tests needed before geting the permission?

Thanks,

Abbas

280SL W113 1969 Ivory
E280 W124 1995 Silver
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 11:11:45 by Abbas »

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Importing a Pagoda into Switzerland
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 11:58:55 »
Hi Abbas,

I have experience in bringing stuff from the US but you do not say where your friend wishes to ship his car from. If it's the US, I have a reliable agent who I can recommend. I assume they do shipping all over the world, so let me know.

As for the tests, I can only tell you about shipping a US car to Germany or the UK. A key sticking point seems to be lights; for whatever reason best known to the Germans - and if someone can explain this to me I'd be REALLY grateful - despite the fact that US cars and German cars both drive on the right (wrong) side of the road, the Germans don't allow sealed beam US headlights. There's also the issue of rust on the car in UK and Germany - too much of that and they won't allow you to register the car, quite unlike most states in the US where anything with the requisite number of wheels is allowed on the road. I can't imagine for a second the Swiss will be any less stringent.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Abbas

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 13:12:22 »
Thanks James,
  I always thought about emissions never thought about the light or rust. Good to know. Actually the car is in UAE and he shall be shipping it to Switzerland when he returns there. By the way Switzerland has the most stringent automobile laws on the planet!

Abbas

280SL W113 1969 Ivory
E280 W124 1995 Silver

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 14:38:15 »
Hi Abbas,

Sorry it took me a while to respond...been playing in the sun!  Having just imported 3 cars into CH, I can tell you the scoop.

First you have to have a residence in CH in order to get a car in.  Otherwise you have to talk a Swiss into registering it for you in their name.

If shipped, the car will be unloaded by the carrier and run through customs, where your transport company will get a set of customs forms that carry the 9-digit stammnummer, which follows the car for its life in CH.  If you drive it in yourself, you must stop at the border and go through the same process.  You will pay 11.4% VAT and customs charges.

Next you take the forms to the technical inspection station for your canton--some cantons have several.  Bern's is in Biel.  The technical inspector then makes a date for the inspection.  When you show up, the inspection can take several hours, hoist included.  They will test everything--wipers, horn, lights, etc.

If the car passes, you can register it, but you must already have insurance.  If it needs work, you will be sent home and must get another date for inspection.

It is almost certain that you will have to replace the sealed-beam headlights.  The good news is that you needn't replace the entire lens and everything--go to a Hella store and get some H4 round halogen beams.  They should still make that standard size.

As for rust, forget it--none allowed, past surface non-structural rust.  If there is ANY (sills, springs, rear axle), you will fail.

As you can imagine from the previous description, this is a long, involved, and expensive importation.  Good luck, and doing your homework early, should smooth the transition.  

Good luck; let us know how it goes...

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Sarasota FL; Alsace France; Switzerland
You only need 2 tools in life: WD40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop.
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

Abbas

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 03:13:29 »
Trice,
   Many thanks for the advise - I shall pass it to my friend and let you know if he still wantst to go through this ordeal.

Abbas

280SL W113 1969 Ivory
E280 W124 1995 Silver