Author Topic: alternator light on with key/ign. off  (Read 4783 times)

lowride

alternator light on with key/ign. off
« on: May 30, 2013, 16:20:34 »
Hello;
Problem with a 1964 230SL
The alternator light is on at all times with the ignition off. When key is turned to run and also to start, the light goes off and remains off when engine is running. I had checked the charging system and it wasn't charging. I removed alternator and found bad diodes. I was unable to find parts locally so I replaced the alternator with a remanufactured 35 amp alternator. After reinstalling the alternator, the results are the same but it now charges right where it should be 14.5 volts. I also replaced the regulator with a electronic unit but tried it with the original one as well. Results were the same, light on with ign off, on when ign. switched on or started. Any help would be appreciated. Additional note; all the engine wiring is pretty crusty and painted over, but appears to be otherwise ok.
Any help is appreciated.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: alternator light on with key/ign. off
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 20:47:26 »
Does the car start alright?? That is, full crank speed? Has the wiring been messed with before you had the car? On the later cars (280 SL) the alternator light serves a double duty as a door ajar indicator. Could someone have put in this circuit from a re-wire?

Are you disconnecting the battery when the car is stopped to prevent the drain?
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 23:02:55 »
It also can serve as the indicator light for low fluid in the brake reservoir (float with a pin hole) when the door is open and goes off when the door is closed or the key turner to on.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

lowride

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 13:10:11 »
Does the car start alright?? That is, full crank speed? Has the wiring been messed with before you had the car? On the later cars (280 SL) the alternator light serves a double duty as a door ajar indicator. Could someone have put in this circuit from a re-wire?

Are you disconnecting the battery when the car is stopped to prevent the drain?
The car starts perfectly, yes, some of the wiring is questionable (no plug for alternator had to fab connector, yes they are correctly hooked) Thought about door sw. not an issue. Yes I am disconnecting battery.
Thanks!!!

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 04:25:30 »
Hey lowrider,

You installed a re-maunufactured alternator.
Did it have new diodes installed or were just the brushes and bearings replaced?

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

lowride

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 15:43:40 »
The alternator was a complete reman, so I have to assume the diodes were replaced as well. However I think my next move is to remove the alternator and check the diodes to see for myself.