Author Topic: How to clean your tachometer  (Read 5439 times)

xcashewx

How to clean your tachometer
« on: September 29, 2009, 05:06:19 »
i got really frustrated when my tach started to stick, i had 2 options, send it off to get fixed for about $95, or do it myself. i chose to do it myself and it worked very well. now my tach does not stick anymore. i found tons of black sludge in the drive(which caused it to stick)

heres a little "how to"

step 1:
remove the circ-clip from the tach body, and remove the rubber gasket

step 2:
now this is where you need patient and careful, gather 2 small yet blunt ended flat head screw drivers. mark an equal semicircle on the back lip of the bezel, this section will be the part you will be bending up. start in the middle and work your way around the sides. do a LITTLE each time and go over it a few times to make sure the enitre half of the lip is bent up. now gently encourage the bezel up until you can see a small gap and insert one of the small flat heads in there. now with your other screw driver "open" up the remianing portion of the half. once you have done this, push the bezel away from you(or towards the untouched side of the bezel" if you did it right the bezel will simply "pop" off. WATCH OUT the glass will fall right out if your not careful.

step 3:
turn over the instrument and remove the 2 flat head screws on the back of the body. keeping the tach upright after removing the screws, gently, from the bottom lift the entire drive and face out from the top (where the glass was).

step 4:
cleaning the drive:
under the face of the tach you will see two flat heads holding the two drive halves together. you cant get to these easily because the face is in the way, so using again a small flathead, insert the screw driver horizontaly into the screw and unscrew little by little, (these screws are not tight, little force is needed) then open the two halves.

step 5:
once you have these separated this is where all your gunk and crap will accumulate. using a good solvent clean up the magnetic drive and all the other parts well.
unscrew the one screw at the top of the magnetic drive and withdraw the entire shaft,drive. chances are this is gunked up too. after a good cleaning apply little amounts of lube to the shaft itself. (if you do not lube your tach will "hum" when its back together!)

now put everything back together should be self explanitory, the hard part however is getting the bezel back to how it originally was.
slide on the bezel , untouched end first. this will help as the other half of the "circle" is already as tight as the original. now it is easier to duplicate the tension on the unlocked half. to press mine back down i used a jewlers case opener, simple tool the will not scratch the chrome. start from the outside edges and work your way in, applying liberal pressure to the bezel in the area that you are pressing. this process takes the longest but the more time you take the nicer it will come out!.
youll never notice you took your tach apart, unless you remove it again and inspect closely the inside lip of the bezel. this would also be a good time to clean the inside glass, mine had a "frosty" look which was simply wiped away , now its all nice and shiny.

pat yourself on the back, you just saved youself $95 bucks

whole process takes about 2 hours

p.s. sorry for bad pictures, cant expect much from a cell phone camera

gzmavian

Re: How to clean your tachometer
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 23:37:32 »
Hey Partner.   I'm entertaining the thought of replacing my bouncing, chattering, noisey Tachometer cable.  Is it very difficult to access the tachometer cable beneath the  insturment panel and get the job done?  I appreciate your review of your adventure.  Thanks for your response.  Greg  gzmavian@yahoo.com

xcashewx

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 06:46:26 »
in order to get your tach cable out you have to take out the entire instrument. then it will be easier to put in the new cable

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 20:31:18 »
Hey gzmavian,

Before you go to that trouble, try greasing the cable inner - the bit that rotates.  You can do this from under the car by disconnecting the drive from the side of the gearbox, pulling out the cable, lightly greasing it and sliding it back inside the cable outer. It takes about an hour, including getting the ramps out of the basement to put the car on. Stopped my noisy chattering tacho cable like majic, for the cost of a smear of grease.

Cheers

George
230SL
Brisbane
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 21:25:39 »
Is the rubber housing gasket still available?
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6