Author Topic: auto trans shifter-linkage problem  (Read 2897 times)

seawolf71

auto trans shifter-linkage problem
« on: September 01, 2010, 21:16:02 »
Hi-I rebuilt the auto shiftgate,following the tech manual instructions BUT with the adjustment on the linkage rod all the way back-making the rod as short as possible-it is still too long!I have the car flat on all four tires with blocks underneath them so that I can get under the car (71 280SL) I have loosend the the supplementary lever but the selector rod is still too long. I have the transmission supported exactly where it would be when the support plate was on. The only possible reason I can think of is that I've reversed the auto shiftgate when I rebuilt it .Is there a way to tell which is the front? Any help would would be great                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         thanks Bill

seawolf71

Re: auto trans shifter-linkage problem
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 19:09:03 »
  ??? I'm still unsure about which is the front of the shiftgate. there is a small notch on the rectangular plate-in the tech manual sometimes appears to be on the front but some pictures show it on the back-can I just reverse this plate or must I disassemble the whole thing? Also some pics show linkage on the right (passengers) side and others on the left. I can't see how it would work on the drivers side. I started this project 2 years ago but had to stop for health reasons so my memory on this is weak. Can anybody shed some light? I would appreciate any help. Thanks Bill 71280SL Automatic

seawolf71

Re: auto trans shifter-linkage problem
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 00:33:23 »
 Dan- thank you so much for your help with the linkage problem I did reverse the auto shiftgate -when I took it apart and switched it around everthing lined up! If I had read the tech manual before I took it apart, I would have done it right the first time. Thanks again!    Bill 71 280SL ;D