Author Topic: Lid Upholstery  (Read 2777 times)

George Des

Lid Upholstery
« on: July 02, 2010, 12:48:39 »
Tried to resurrect an old topic, but got no takers. I'm trying to re-do my convertible top lid in MBTEX as original. I had done this several years ago but was not satisfied with the results. I happened to drop by Gernold's last week and he told me that many restorers do not want to touch the MBTEX on these lids because the glue has a tendency to bleed through the tex unlike leather and it is difficult to adhere in several places. Got a couple of questions of those who have successfully redone theirs. (1) is there any foam used under the upholstery--if so where and how thick. (2) What type glue have you used to attach the Tex? (3) Were you happy with results (4) Any tips

George Desiderio

jeffc280sl

Re: Lid Upholstery
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 15:58:02 »
Hi George,

I did this along time ago.  I do not recall using any padding.  I used upholstery spray glue where the material attaches to the rear tabbed steel hoop and up front where the material is held in place by the chrome pieces.  If you use glue on the cover in the area where the material is held in place by the rear tabbed steel piece you will see the outline of the steel piece.  I suppose some very thin padding could be added to the cover the smooth the transition from the tabbed piece to the top cover.

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
Re: Lid Upholstery
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 19:43:48 »
Hello George,
I removed the material from the top and it had a very thin ( as in 1/4 inch ) foam fitted.
Any joy with the 0  rings.
Eric