Author Topic: SLS Wood - Opinions? Possibility of seeing some - Southern California  (Read 3799 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
I am soliciting opinions on the wood kits from SLS.   I'm doing the tradeoff between restore/replace and the cost points to SLS being a good value.  I would like the opinions of anyone who has purchased an SLS wood kit, or anyone who has seen the wood installed.  I am  interested in the quality, color, finish, and fit in your Pagoda.  If at all possible, I would like to see the wood before purchasing, so if there is a set installed in your car somewhere in Southern California, I would appreciate the opportnity to take a look at it.

thanks
Scott
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 20:20:45 by scoot »
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
I have an SLS set but it's not yet in the car. The quality, grain and  varnish of the timber is a good match for the original but the general fit and finish of the pieces leaves a little to be desired - there are some small gaps in the console box and some coarse sanding scratch marks in one of the windshield pieces. SLS' service seems good so I think you could probably specify you want perfect pieces and would get them. I didn't push the issue as my pieces are not that bad, and postage to & from Australia is expensive.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

Rolland

One question, is old wood repairable?  I just sent mine to Heritage Woodworks.  I have one small area where the veneer is delaminated and a few spots where sometime in the past someone sanded through the first layer on the dash trim.  My speaker grill is bowed slightly.  They quoted me $450 to repair, refinish all wood except the hardtop trim. 

Rolland

jaymanek

I got mine from ebay.de... sellers name is "Eris Car"..

I have bought wood off him for other cars too and I think the quality is impeccable.

Dick

When I restored my '64 230 SL I ordered the window trim .  Having worked with wood for many years I was disappointed in the quality and fit.  I ended up re-veneering and refinishing the pieces myself and I am proud of the repairs where there has been a corner leak in the windshield.  I feel the original wood is worth saving if you or someone else can do it.

Dick
Danville, VT

'64 230 SL (Euro)
'85 280 SL (107, Euro)
"87 560 SEC (Euro)
'04 E320 wagon.

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Le Raincy
I also have owned the complete SLS wood kit for almost 10 years.
I agree the fit was not perfect (the two dashboard pieces leave a little gap at their junction), but overall finish is acceptable.Wood style is identical to stock, which -imho- is everything but sexy, but this is another story.

I didn't order a new console as mine was still looking fine, and the match with the new wood pieces is perfect.
Philippe from Paris
Euro '71 280SL manual 4sp