Author Topic: transmission swap  (Read 8350 times)

seamus

transmission swap
« on: January 24, 2008, 08:35:39 »
Hello gentlemen and ladies, I have a question for y'all. I am a new owner of a '71 280sl with auto transmission, in hindsight wish I had gotten a manual. I was wondering if a 5-speed transmission from a '71 280se, saw one advertised, could be swapped out with my auto tranny? Is this the same transmission used on the Z5 pagodas, and if so would this be a very expensive thing to do? Would have to be done by mechanic, I'm not experienced enough to do this myself. Thanks for you help, Seamus

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: transmission swap
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 10:01:23 »
Short answer: it can be done, if you've got all the parts from the 280se.

I don't believe the ZF 5-speed transmission was used on the 280se in '71; I think by then MB had their own 5-speed.

The expense of conversion could be high. You'll need to:
  • disconnect any and all auto tranny linkages with the throttle linkage
  • disconnect kick-down switch
  • disconnect oil lines to/from the radiator and plug holes
  • add a new pedal for the clutch (with associated holes/mounts in the firewall, etc)
  • add the master cylinder to pedal assembly
  • add a clutch fluid reservoir
  • gear/stick assembly and all mounts/seals
  • the propeller shaft length will likely need to be modified (unless you can find a suitable replacement elsewhere)
  • etc, etc...

You can see that it will take a lot of work and modification, but it can be done.

Personally (you did ask for opinions, right?  ;) ) I would leave this pagoda as-is in the original state and start looking for one with a manual transmission; once you find it, you can sell this one. You'll end up saving time and money, and you won't diminish the value of your car by modifying it so much from the original factory setup.

Waqas in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:40:20 »
Congratulations on your new 280SL!   Please note that parts are no longer available for the 5 speed manual transmission you are interested in.

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1987 560SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 18:29:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by waqas

[li]the propeller shaft length will likely need to be modified (unless you can find a suitable replacement elsewhere)[/li]
Why is "propeller shaft" a common term for the "drive shaft"?  This is not a propeller driven air craft, nor a propeller driven water craft.  It's a commonly used term, I just don't know why?   :?:

Rodd
Pagoda Technical Manual
please contibute: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php
1966 230SL
2006 C230 Sport Sedan
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 23:39:07 »
Hi, Rodd,

How about the idea that a propeller is something that propels (the vehicle)?  In the water or the air, the thing that propels the vehicle happens to have blades; on land, it is (simplistically) the wheels.  And the shaft in question propels (at least indirectly) the wheels that propel the car.

In this usage drive and propel are essentially synonyms, and it makes sense to call the shaft that transfers the driving/propelling force a "drive shaft" or a "propeller shaft".  When a term for this component was needed, the British chose one, the Americans the other.

To carry this too far, one could claim that we don't drive our cars, the engine does.  We simply operate them.  But I won't go there...  :)

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 09:06:52 »
Another expensive items is that the "clutch" flywheel needs to be ballanced with the engine crankshaft.

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 13:54:58 »
Good point, Jim, but wouldn't that only apply to a 230sl crankshaft? I thought the 250sl and 280sl crankshafts were self-balanced?

Waqas in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 20:24:58 »
Jim...What is your 5 speed in your mgb? Did you do that conversion?

1967 230SL Havana Brown Auto with A/C

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 04:16:17 »
Seamus,
If you see the other transmission post "Transmission and a Micrmeter anyone?" it seems like it has been done. It looks like you might have to add to the transmission tunnel to clear the linkages on the side of the transmission.

ejm

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 06:28:02 »
Ive done this with a 280se 5 speed doner car. Email me if you need any info