Author Topic: Chrome roof strips  (Read 3290 times)

BobB

• Junior Level
  • USA, PA, Philadelphia
Chrome roof strips
« on: August 22, 2011, 21:12:36 »
 Hi this is my first post with this group and I hope some one will know. I have had my Pagoda about two years and decided to cleanup some cosmetics and really like the look of the chrome strips. Bought new from MB Classic and not clear how to mount. Talked with Buds Benz and appears this is a whole new mounting style. The classic center does not know either. Mercedes just sent a bunch of what looks like brass grommets, small roller pins , black thin washers, and plastic clips. My body man is at a loss. Any ideas? Thanks.
Bob B.

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Chrome roof strips
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 21:26:12 »
Hi bob,

Welcome to the Group.
 :)
Mounting the alloy chrome strips to the hardtop is not easy.  :o
You need to disassemble the whole hardtop nearly completely in order to get access to where the mounting hardware goes for these tops.
You (or the Classic Center, Buds Benz) need to look up the EPC for the necessary parts there. Not more everything of these items are available from new. I think there is no stencil available to where to drill the holes for the clamps ... I think you can only do that by comparing one hardtop (without -) with another (with strips) to get an idea where the holes need to be placed.

Have a look here:

http://www.blackforestllc.com/classic_gallery.html

-> Workshop gallery -> hardtop

... to get an idea how much work is involved. The top needs to be almost completely stripped to add the chrome strips.
If I were you I would only do that when/if a complete hardtop restoration is due.
Basically you can do this all yourself, but it is already "advanced tinkering".

Good luck

Achim

Achim
(Germany)

BobB

• Junior Level
  • USA, PA, Philadelphia
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 21:36:26 »
Thanks. The problem is that this is completely different system. We are redoing top and this seemed appropriate time. Buds is only familiar with old style and Classic Center only has list of mounting material, no schematic as you would expect. Frankly there appears to be way too much hardware, not too little.
Bob B.

IXLR8

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 00:49:35 »
Hi--

The biggest reason for extensive mounting hardware for the roof mounted chrome strips is that they are functional, not merely cosmetic.

They are used to mount a ski rack and other externally mounted items.

This requires a sturdy foundation to prevent loss and water leaks.

Joe

hauser

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 16:39:13 »
Try getting in touch with Gernold at SL Tech.  No one knows Pagodas better than Gernold.