Author Topic: My front hood won"t open? Any ideas?  (Read 4539 times)

blaudenbach

My front hood won"t open? Any ideas?
« on: June 23, 2011, 03:33:15 »
MY battery is dead so I attempted to pop open my hood but the latch won"t pop it when I pull on it. I'm a new Pagoda owner and would really appreciate anyn help. If possible fire me a e-mail to brianl@jmoil.net.

knockmacool

Re: My front hood won"t open? Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:53:23 »
I do remember someone writing about this, but can't find the thread. Make sure your release handle is secured to the body properly by two screws. I'm sure someone else will tell you more

Drew

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:41:57 »
More from Brian:
Battery dead, can't start the car. I had the car in a shop for new tires and maybe they went under the hood but what could cause this?

The latch and cable appear to work but the hood won"t pop up when I pull it. I tried putting WD40 down the cable channel but no help.

Also tried pushing down on the left part of hood where the latch is, no help.

Is there any way to pop the latch from  under the car?

If you have ANY thoughts please e-mail them to brianl@jmoil.net

1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

hauser

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 03:29:15 »
If the cable is broken at the release lever you can lock onto it with a pair of visegrips and pull till it pops the hood.  If it is broken under the hood it will be very difficult to open.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 13:02:26 »
Can't be too much of a problem... he never checked back here for the solution after posting his two pleas for help! ;)
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

blaudenbach

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 14:11:44 »
Sorry wasn't back. The problem was under the hood where the cable drops into a U shaped holding device with a set screw on either side of it. The set screws let loose so the cable was no longer secure, hence when i was pulling it inside the car it couldn't release the main latch. It had to be flat bedded to the garage, up on a lift then they snaked their way up there pulled the cabel donw got it unlatched and now really tightened the set screws so it won't jump off again. It really was a strange occurrence but one that left teh car stuck in my garage for too long.