Author Topic: CSV Hard Wiring  (Read 3768 times)

afisk

CSV Hard Wiring
« on: October 06, 2013, 22:43:30 »
Hello,
I have a '67 230sl and it has a bad thermostat in the WRD so shut off the WRD completely. As a result, the start-up is rough. I would like to hard wire a switch to the CSV so that I can control how long the CSV comes on during start-up. I know a few of you have done this and I would like advice on the best way to wire a switch onto the CSV.
Thanks in advance,
Aaron 

JosephBach

Re: CSV Hard Wiring
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 02:39:35 »
I would use an original 4 pole Bosch relay and heat shrink a nice wire harness, then have a  small momentary switch inconspicuously placed under dash.
Then it will operate only as you hold the button. Mount near data plate for  a clean look

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 13:33:02 »
Are you looking to just have the valve open when you're cranking the starter, or do you want it to open during warm-up? 

If just while cranking, you can hard-wire the ground (85) of the CSV relay -run a wire from where the pink wire connects to the thermo-time switch to ground.  This will open the CSV the whole time you are cranking the starter.  You could also add a push-button switch to this ground to control the valve.

If you want the  CSV to open during, then the four-pin relay would work:

30 - hot in run
86 - hot in run
87 - to valve
85 - ground via push-button 

BUT I think you would have to add a diode to the standard CSV power wire to avoid energizing the solenoid on the injection pump, which would probably kill the engine.
Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1970 280SL #13027 (restored and sold)
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA

Eminent

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 18:52:49 »
If just while cranking, you can hard-wire the ground (85) of the CSV relay -run a wire from where the pink wire connects to the thermo-time switch to ground.  This will open the CSV the whole time you are cranking the starter.

Did that too and works fine for me.