Author Topic: costs to replace?  (Read 3863 times)

joes

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Canada, Ontario,
costs to replace?
« on: September 14, 2009, 00:50:32 »
Hi guys/gals,

Just joined the group and am looking for some help if you please.  I have my eye on a 69 280SL and am very serious about buying it but i dont want to make a mistake i may regret later.  There are things i would want to make right when i buy it but do not know the costs involved.  Can you give me a ballpark on the availability/costs for the following:
front grill star
heater controls are broken
seats need to be restuffed
map pockets are ripped
becker radio
period correct wheels
tools, spare, manual

Also, the car appears to be in very good structural shape as i it has extensive body work done to it.  I will get it up on a hoist and have the engine/body checked out.  Are there particular things/areas I should look for?

thanks very much in advance for your help .
Joe.
71 280SL, auto, white-grey (158)/brown (138)
72 911T, 5 spd, silver/black

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
Re: costs to replace?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 02:44:35 »
Hello Joe, welcome aboard.

Here's some ballpark figures. If you search the forums you can find all the info you're looking for and probably much more accurate than my numbers.

front grill star - $800
heater controls are broken - ?
seats need to be restuffed - $200 for labor
map pockets are ripped $100 labor + Materials
becker radio - $370 (Just got one a couple months back with an Ipod jack included)
period correct wheels - $200 for wheels only... do you need rims and hubcaps too?
tools - $100+ for repros / spare - $50 for a wheel / manual - $30 ebay

As far as areas to look for rust damage, you should focus on underneath in general, behind the headlight buckets and underneath the front quarter panels. Check the sills on both sides, as well as footwells and floor trunk. As far as I know, structural rust comes after these areas are affected, so if these are rusty, then look in further depth. Search the word "rust" and read away.

Cheers!
Andres

joes

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Canada, Ontario,
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:25:33 »
Dear Andres,

I thank you very much for the quick response!  it is most helpful.  I will look for rust in all the areas you suggest and try to make a good decision.

Yes I do need the period correct hubcaps and realize that I will probably have to get them painted to match the repainted car.  How hard are they to find and is repainting difficult/expensive to get done?

Also, I will have a mechanic give the mechanicals a once over but are there any particular things you can suggest that I should look for?  compression test, valve guides, fuel injection etc?

I am very glad I joined this forum and I sincerely appreciate your help!

Thanks again,
Joe

Kayvan

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 15:18:58 »
Do a compression test on each cylinder...they should all be even and near 180+ psi

Do a compression test/leakdown on radiator and hoses.

Make sure the Fuel Injection pump is looked at by someone who knows this vintage.

Take a long test drive (min. 20 min), noting how smooth it runs, accelerartion, braking, transmission shifting and watch guages for operating temperature<180-200 and oil pressure at 45lb at speed...

Make sure convertible top opens, closes and stows in storage space smoothly.  Check for missing chrome trim pieces some cost as much as $200/ea.

If you do buy, immediately change ALL fluids.

I have 4 OEM used Hubcaps for sale when you are ready.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 21:04:52 by Kayvan »

joes

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Canada, Ontario,
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 20:24:20 »
More great info! 
Tx very much for your input and I will call you for sure if I need the wheels.
best.