Author Topic: Soft Top Cover Stuck  (Read 3628 times)

rnucci

Soft Top Cover Stuck
« on: May 21, 2009, 19:58:00 »
Hi All, I'm a new member.  Haven't had my 1968 280sl more than a month.  I took the hard top off, and took out the soft top.  Now I'm trying to store the soft top back in its compartment, but that deck lid for the soft top won't pop open!  It's loose on the driver's side, but totally latched on the passenger side.  What do I do?

Nice to be on board with you folks.  Thanks for your input!

Robert Nucci

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Soft Top Cover Stuck
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 20:14:44 »
Have you tried the soft-top compartment cover release lever? This is the chrome lever on the soft-stop compartment wall inside the cabin, driver side.

This lever releases two latches (one each on the left and right sides) that hold the soft-top lid in place. In your case, it appears that one latch is still holding on to the lid.
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 22:02:37 »
Robert,

Try as Waqas says, but it maybe that the nut that holds the lever onto the bolt is loose inside the compartment, in which case you may not get the leverage to open the far side latch. Is it the far side - i.e. opposite the operating lever - that is stuck (you mention drivers side but not whether your car is LHD or RHD)? If so, you'll have to execute the 'stuck soft top compartment cover' drill. Do a search on the site for stuck soft top cover and you'll find a wealth of info. As a quick suggestion, try pressing down on the lid and operating the lever and whilst operating the lever try pulling up on the lip (takes 2 persons - one per side). If after reading that you've had no joy, come back.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 07:41:42 »
http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Tops/SoftTop in the Technical Manual

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

hauser

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 18:54:52 »
I just had the same problem happen today.  Once I get the lid open what do I do from this happening again?  Do I have to buy a new cable?