Author Topic: Neutral safety cable  (Read 1928 times)

Rhinkel

Neutral safety cable
« on: July 03, 2017, 13:23:28 »
The cable for my neutral safety switch has broken. I ordered a new one from Buds Benz and they advertise only one replacement cable. When the cable arrived, the end that snaps over the ball stud on the switch is too small. I'm pretty sure this is an original switch. Is there more than one cable? Could this be a dealer item still? Anyone know where to find the correct one? Thank you

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
Re: Neutral safety cable
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 13:42:55 »
I don't know about different versions, but I can tell you a few years ago I bought one from the Classic Center and it installed just as it should.
They are very helpful. I'm sure if you call them, they can measure either the ball or end that snaps over to help you determine if your car has the original part. (Or, of course you can call Buds Benz, and they will help you too since you bought the part from them.)
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

Rhinkel

Re: Neutral safety cable
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 13:55:11 »
Yes I do have a call into Buds, I'm probably working ahead of myself in anticipation of hearing only one cable is available (the only one advertised) but I hope to be very wrong. I am lucky in that I live only a few miles from the classic center in Irvine so that's next .... thanks