Author Topic: Flex disk problem  (Read 2515 times)

Rhinkel

Flex disk problem
« on: April 25, 2017, 03:09:10 »
Ok. I spent a few weeks troubleshooting a vibration issue. Felt like low rpm miss. I had vibration and sound at certain rpms. Turns out I chased a number of items. First, I replaced all the ignition parts and it was much better, but not gone. Second, I found my timevalve exhaust had a loose baffle- fixed but not gone. Last I decided to get under the car and look for something loose. The pic is what I found !! After removal of course.

What I'd like to post is that my issue was a combination of issues but in the end the seeming "miss" or vibration was the flex disk imploding.  For those searching the boards, when this vibration goes away under super light, no load throttle, then returns with a slight load- check your flex disk. Being new to the w113's I wouldn't have know this but once replaced, along with the other minor improvements, man oh man is that one smooth running, sweet sounding little motor. Thank you all as always for your input to help me solve this. New full member Rob

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
Re: Flex disk problem
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 03:36:52 »
I think its a testament to the car that you could still drive it with that pile of strands connecting the gearbox output to the drive shaft
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

Rhinkel

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 03:59:32 »
Total ignorance to what the issue was George - until I got under the car where it became obvious. Hence my post hoping other less experienced such as myself can trouble shoot this on the web easier. In the end I got lucky it didn't cut loose!

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 06:20:29 »
Having posted about my flex disk issues elsewhere I have thought about the effects of the disk letting go completely - the shaft couldn`t drop down to the road, but it would feel and sound like world war 3 had started under the car with the shaft flapping around in the tunnel before you could stop the car. Wouldn`t need your hearing aids in to hear the noise :o
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 07:52:12 »
Quote from: georgem
.../... the effects of the disk letting go completely .../... the shaft flapping around in the tunnel.../...
That (fortunately) does not happen! The propeller drive shaft is held on centrally by a pin in a spherical mount, in the center of the flex disk (No 4 in the illustration attached).

BTW, that spherical fitting needs to be greased periodically, the nipple is a bit awkward to reach (No 8 in the illustration). See in the owners manual for your Pagoda!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:57:58 by mbzse »
/Hans S