Author Topic: Exhaust System Source  (Read 4819 times)

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Exhaust System Source
« on: August 05, 2011, 14:42:52 »
Thinking of replacing the entire exhaust system on the 69 280SL.

When I mentioned this at the recent PUB gathering, I was advised by some to "Go with Mercedes, a few dollars more but it will fit perfectly and sound great; not stainless but it is MB."

Others said, "Why spend an extra $500 for non-stainless? Time Valve is stainless and will last longer.
I was told Time Valve offers two different exhaust tones.

If you have experience with using or installing MB or Time Valve on a 280SL, let me know your opinion about
the fit and the exhaust sound of each.

Thanks,

Richard M, NYC.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 14:44:26 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Exhaust System Source
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 16:40:27 »
Richard,

1)  I have the Time Valve stainless steel system.  If you go with something like that be sure and order the extra cost stainless steel hardware or source it yourself.  When I bought mine I was not offered different tones, so you need to speak with Time Valve directly about it.  I'm happy with it, and when I bought it simply wanted to buy only one exhaust system for car, ever.  I also was not concerned at that time with complete originality, I made concessions to taste and safety--paint color change, 3-point retractables, etc.

2)  Search out the posts or contact Bob Possel, or read the article in PW.  I believe he had some fit issues that required a bit of playing around to get whatever he got, to fit correctly.  I'm sure he'll be able to talk with you about it in detail.

3)  The MB OEM, properly installed, is welded together.  Better have it fitting perfectlly before lighting the torch...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

IXLR8

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 18:32:47 »
Hi--

I got my stainless system through K&K.

Fits beautifully, easy to install.  Good price.

I believe that they said that they say they source it from England.

Check it out:  http://www.kkmfg.com/catalog.php

Joe

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 22:39:09 »
Richard, I have a timevalve system that was installed by the PO, so I can't give comparisons on the sound, but there is nothing unpleasant about the tone from timevalve. It sounds just like you would expect, and perhaps want, a sport(y) car to sound.

Gus
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

jeffc280sl

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 23:46:48 »
I have the Time Valve system and the fit is excellent.  If you get a welded system the most important weld is the connection between the first and second muffler.  If its off you system will hang too low or to high.  Time valve must have a jig set up in their factory because pipes as delivered are welded to the back muffler.  Everything else is connected by clamps so it is a DIY job for most.

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 00:47:29 »
To close out this thread, here's what I did about the exhaust:

I chose to go with an MB exhaust from the Classic Center. The Center sent the entire exhaust package directly to my mechanic.

Early on a Saturday a.m., the old system pipes were cut in two and removed; the new system was fitted, tack welded, removed, MIG welded, then reinstalled.

Having an exhaust muffler without a 3 inch hole makes a difference. The car no longer sounds like a Harley; doesn't set off car alarms when driving down narrow streets. Even the highway "buzz" at 3,500 revs is easier on the ears.

The exhaust sound is not like my grandma's sedan but has a medium "power" sound, if that's possible to imagine.

So far, seems to be a real improvement.

One of the parts MB sent was a new rubber bumper to fit under the rear of the body just above the pipes where they exit the car. A small flat piece is welded across the two pipes to fit directly under the bumper.The bumper is to prevent the pipes from hitting the body when the road is uneven.  If you don't have this bumper, you may be hearing clunks in the rear when the car goes over bumps.

The shape of the bumper has changed. The photo shows the dome shaped older bumper and the flat top current replacement.

Thanks to all for your help,

Richard M, NYC 
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).