Author Topic: Unespected Broke down ...  (Read 1286 times)

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes, LA ROCHELLE
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
Unespected Broke down ...
« on: May 30, 2022, 16:20:45 »
I was driving cool on small roads with my wife to visit a garden show when we heard a strange noise:
it was like i have lost one hubcap. A stop a few meters after, no strange noise engine always on  , all hubcaps on the wheels, nothing strange under the car.
I started to drive , thinking i must have driven with a wheel on a can....  and then 300 meters further , the same noise .
New stop and then opening the engine bay..... everything seemed in place ... but a hand on the fan blade showed a blade almost completely loosed .
It was the front pulley which was untightened. Only two bolts were there and almost completely untightened.
The Engine had a complete refurbishment 1000 km ago .... what a unespected surprise  :-[
May be the culprit is the paint on the pulley, because the bolt is tigntened there on a 270° surface instead of 360°  so the friction is low and it's a "special" bolt without a stop washer.
As if by chance , i have forgotten my "security" bag with some spanners, screwdrivers, tape etc...
So i called the assistance and they came with a 10mm spanner , i have tightened the 2 remaining bolts and came back home .....
Now i am waiting for the missing bolts   ::)
Luckily, no damage on the radiator
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Unespected Broke down ...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 20:09:34 »
A littel trick to help with installation:
https://youtu.be/R2W2srGd7pU

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes, LA ROCHELLE
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
Re: Unespected Broke down ...
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 07:28:26 »
 That's a very good  trick  ;) the other trick is to NOT screw the first bolts completely in place  before the 4th is engaged
Thank's for the video link, i'll try that when i 'll have the missing bolts
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...