Author Topic: Is it about the Brand, or the Car Model?  (Read 20281 times)

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Is it about the Brand, or the Car Model?
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 07:40:38 »
In the movie Tin Men with Danny de Vito and Richard Dreyfuss a lot of early sixties and late fifties Cadillacs feature and some of those I think are gorgeous: El Dorado, Fleetwood and Coupe de Villemostly, fins galore. Good examples are quite affordable too.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 10:51:40 »
Cees,

Tin Men was a great car movie.  I do find that I am starting to watch movies and shows from the 50's and 60's more for the cars.  Just saw one the other day "By Love Posessed" with Lana Turner driving a white 190SL.  Also fun to watch "Highway Patrol" with Broderick Crawford.

One of my favorites (second to the Imperial) is Peter Gunn's 1959 Sport Fury Convertible.  Google it sometime.  Those are hard to find beauties.  And Lola Albright was easy on the eyes too.

Cheers!

Mike
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

67w113

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 11:51:38 »
As much as I love to drive the w113, the workhorse of my stable is a Ford F150.  Tows boats, hauls appliances and lumber, great reliable work truck.  The E500 (5 speed) I own is stylish and comfortable but not reliable.  I hope I do not get flamed for this statement, but the newer MB seem to suffer from Quality Control and with the price tag a consumer pays you should not have to worry about the constant electrical problems, tranny issues and numerous service bulletins.  I would not own a modem Mercedes again too many sensors, too much time in the shop and major design flaws.  The newer 7 speed transmission of the E550 has had many issues from what I heard.  
  I will say my good friend is over 200K m. on his second MLB.  He has to repair it quite often but it still drives well for having 200K on the odometer.  I have also heard the 6cyclinder modem Mercs is much more reliable than the V8 although they have known problems as well.  I have spoken with former Benz owners that traded their MB in for a LEXUS or BMW and get the same level of comfort but it has the reliability and ease of ownership that many modern Mercedes are lacking but maybe mine was built on a Friday  :D

cbenz1

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 23:23:23 »
 :( Sad but true.  Tired of constant repairs on my newer Benz I traded it for another German brand :)