Author Topic: Forum Reorganisation  (Read 13729 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Forum Reorganisation
« on: December 13, 2007, 04:43:24 »
Dear members,

you will see that we have created a number of new forums. The reason these changes were made are as follows:

• to better organise the thousands of posts we get;
  • to reduce the load on the system when searching for topics (just select the forum you are interested in) and to reduce time-outs (see the index.php?topic=549]discussion[/url] here);
  • to create some additional functionality.
Forums

With this change we have changed the purpose of this General Forum to deal with general topics and history. For technical subjects, we have created four forums:

• Chassis, body, interior, and cosmetic (anything not directly related to moving or stopping the car)
  • Drive train ,suspension, steering, and brakes (anything that makes the car go or stop)
  • Electrical and Instruments
  • Research and Development, where experiments and non-original modifications should be discussed.
We would like to re-emphasise the charter of this group: "The purpose of the Group shall be to maintain the historical heritage of the Mercedes-Benz brand and products, particularly the W 113 230 SL, 250 SL and 280 SL models produced from March 1963 through February 1971." We are here to preserve the historical heritage, not to help people change their cars. We would request that topics related to these changes (new engines, overdrives, trick suspensions, electric windows etc) are posted in the R&D forum.

Forum confusion

You may find that there are multiple places where you could post an item. For instance a topic on radios does not have anything to do with making your car go, so that goes in the Chassis, Body and Interior forum. However, an electrical topic related to points is a subject that is related to making the car go, and therefore goes into the Drive Train forum.

We would like to remind you to also check the Technical Manual. We are aiming to make that into the definitive source of information, well structured and organised, without the noise of a typical forum topic. For some topics we are already getting there. So if you have a new insight as a result of a forum post or topic, which is not yet in the Technical Manual, add it there instead.

The moderators can, and will move posts between the forums. Over the next few weeks you will even see old topics move into the different forums. That may however take some time.

Commercial Advertising

We have also added a Commercial Advertising forum, that currently is restricted for posting. The purpose of this forum is to allow commercial vendors leave an advert/message. We shall only allow a small number of time-limited active threads, in effect making all of them sticky. Advertisers would need to pay the group a nominal fee per post in that thread, but you shall all see clearly that the vendor has a commercial goal. It will also create room for people who contribute greatly to this community to help develop their related commercial business on the board. If you'd like to advertise, please contact admin@sl113.org for details. Ultimately however, it is the Board's decision as to whether we allow someone to advertise. We will not allow non-relevant advertising for instance.

Do note that as a result we shall be enforcing our "non-commercial" policy much more strictly in the "Items for sale" forum.

Peter
For the board of www.sl113.org

1970 280SL. Also known as 'admin@sl113.org' and organiser of the Technical Manual.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Forum Reorganisation
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 06:13:45 »
Makes a whole lot of sense

Well done all!
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 08:10:57 »
Not real happy with the change, even though I'm a new member.  I belong to other forums (am an administrator on the 190 SL), and this board doesn't get enough traffic to be sliced and diced.  That said, the change would be fine if there was a feature common to other forum formats where you click one button to "view new posts" and another button to "mark all posts read"  That way, with one button we can read whatever we haven't since we last visited regardless of what forum it's in, as they've now been split.  As it stands now, we will have to visit every subgroup and look for unread posts and my screen will always show unread posts since I haven't read every post since joining.  So, at a glance I can't see where the new posts are.  Sorry to be negative, the members and information are excellent.  FWIW, I've found Vbulletin to be excellent forum software.  This software also doesn't let you select how you'd like to view posts, ie. first to last, last to first, etc.

John Lewenauer
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 08:12:46 by thelews »
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 08:24:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by thelews

That said, the change would be fine if there was a feature common to other forum formats where you click one button to "view new posts" and another button to "mark all posts read"

That feature is actually available... after logging in check out "Active Topics" in the menu at the top right of your page.

Peter

1970 280SL. Also known as 'admin@sl113.org' and organiser of the Technical Manual.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 09:16:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by vanesp

That feature is actually available... after logging in check out "Active Topics" in the menu at the top right of your page.

Peter

Thanks, seems to work, I'll use it.

John Lewenauer
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

pauldridge

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 06:33:21 »
Excellent improvement, and must have been a huge amount of work.  This will help the forum grow gracefully in the future.

Thanks for a great job!

230SL soon to be 180G Silver/blue interior. Auto/AC

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 10:52:54 »
I agree, the re-org is great! I especially like the separate commercial for-sale section. Do we plan to charge anything for posting there?

Waqas in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 11:52:36 »
We do indeed plan to charge for posting in the commercial forum. We haven't set prices yet, but think around $30 for a general, time limited (6 months to a year) advert. Members who contribute greatly here, and who run a commerical Pagoda related business, may be offered one or more free adverts in this forum for services rendered, at the board's discretion.

Peter

Patrick

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 15:01:08 »
Awesome! Thank you for the effort.

Patrick
'68 250SL

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 18:19:28 »
Peter,

I like the new format, as with all changes, we just have to life with it for a while and see how it works out.

Thanks for your continued efforts.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

hauser

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 18:59:19 »
Works for me!  Good job!

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

psmith

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 13:56:43 »
Thanks Peter, I'm still getting used to the new layout, but I like it.  The only thing I'd like to request is to add a "Jump to" selection box at the top of the pages like there is at the bottom.  

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Pete S.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 04:16:47 »
quote:
The only thing I'd like to request is to add a "Jump to" selection box at the top of the pages like there is at the bottom.

I'll see what I can do... It is a standard software package but I may be able to hack that in

Peter

psmith

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 13:48:51 »
The "jump to" is not a big deal, I didn't realize you'd have to hack it in.  Keep it the way it is, I can scroll!

Pete S.

update:  I just figured out a really easy way.  Since I use Firefox I can open each sub-forum in a new tab and easily go back to the main forum tab when I want to go somewhere else.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 13:52:59 by psmith »

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 16:29:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by psmith

I just figured out a really easy way.  Since I use Firefox I can open each sub-forum in a new tab and easily go back to the main forum tab when I want to go somewhere else.

I've been doing that for months, cause it also works in recent versions of Internet Explorer. Right click on the topic and select "Open in a new tab".  For those who don't know this trick yet!

Peter

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 15:55:33 »
Hi, Peter,

I have been on this board from the beginning, and have always liked the "one stop shopping" organization for discussions on any topic. Since I read every discussion thread, the reorganization just means that I now have to go more than one place to read it all.

In fact, I totally missed the re-org for several weeks (as evidenced by my post asking what was happending to the battery threads).

I am trying out the "Active Topics" approach and have a request, but first let me explain how I "operate". I have a laptop that goes pretty much everywhere with me.  I never shut it down unless absolutely necessary; I put it in suspend when not in use, then open it and resume when and where I need it. I also keep several browser windows open all of the time, and of course one of the tabs is displaying our forum site. What all of this means is that I only log in every month or two, but read the board almost daily. (BTW, I run SuSE Linux on my laptop, but had achieved a similar level of stability on Windows 2000 before I swore off MS software [at least to the extent humanly possible in my business].)

Anyway, the request is this: Is it possible to add a button at the top of the "Active Topics" page that marks the current time as the one to use for the next refresh (rather than the login time)? Then, when I am finished reading all of the new/updated threads, I would hit this button; the next time I reloaded the page it would know where to pick up. This would be much easier than logging out and in again constantly. I hope this makes sense...and maybe there's already I way to do this that I just don't understand.  Thanks!

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 17:10:19 »
David,

what you're asking for is there already. You don't need to log in again. When you revisit the board at some later point, just refresh the window in your browser and then go to Active Topics. Then select "Active Topics Since" on the top left... and it should have your last VISIT time, not your lst LOGIN time. Make sure that on the top right it says "Don't reload automatically" and you shpould have the behaviour you are asking for.

The "Visit" function uses Cookies. If you disable those, this does not work.

David, this functionality works for 98% of all visitors, including me. And I use a Linux, and a XP and a Vista computer. It works on all of them, regardless of which one I use. If it does not work for you, I'm afraid you'e on your own...

Peter

hauser

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 18:51:29 »
Everything seems to be going without a hitch.  The only thing I have observed is that I have to login every so often.  Other than that I think things are going great!!

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

psmith

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 21:06:28 »
I like the new setup.  I use firefox and so I open each forum in a different tab and read through the latest messages.  Peter said there is a way to do that in MS Explorer too.  One thing that I really like about the new setup is that topics don't sink to the bottom of the page and disappear as fast as they use to.  Which is nice if you don't check in that frequently.

Pete S.