Author Topic: Techno-Classica Essen Apr. 7-10, 05  (Read 10907 times)

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Techno-Classica Essen Apr. 7-10, 05
« on: March 17, 2005, 03:48:25 »
Anybody going?

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Techno-Classica Essen Apr. 7-10, 05
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 23:49:41 »
Peter van Es and I may go. You, Achim, and I believe Albert and I met there two years ago. Gernold Nisius was also there that year (plus about 120 million other classic car enhusiasts!).

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 16:49:50 »
Yes Naj,

Sorry for my bad behaviour and even worse replies.[:0]
Yes, I will go there. When are you planning to show up, Sat or Sun?

I hope we will be able to see each other again. Will be a great pleasure for me!

Best,

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 13:34:22 »
Hello Achim and Cees,
I will be there Friday and Saturday.
Can meet at the MB Classic stand same as last time. What's a good time (on Saturday?) for y'all.
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 14:48:43 »
I would want to arrive when it opens on Saturday, i.e. 9 AM. Meaning we could meet up at around 10-ish?

p.s. I might even have The Poster with me for you, Albert and Achim who are of course all in it ...  :)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 14:49:49 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

glennard

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 15:16:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by naj

Anybody going?

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL

Is it worth a trip from the USA?  A little description of the Show, if you would.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 15:45:54 »
Here's a link to an English-language website:

http://www.ciltd.co.uk/Techno/tcindex.htm

Some excerpts:

"Larger, more informative, more variety and more elegance: The 17th TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN from 7 to 10 April 2005 increases its potential. The largest indoor show on the international vintage scene offers still more than last year.
... the exhibitors at the 17th TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN from 7 to 10 April offer this year a still more attractive programme than last year.
... the largest classic commercial centre, spare part, accessory and automobilia market, stage for new products, market barometer, trend indicators, industrial fair for restorers and historic podium for car manufacturers. At last year's event the organizer counted 129,000 visitors.

TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN 2005: World largest classic forum of the automobile industry

TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN is the world's largest classic forum of the automobile industry. This year German and foreign automakers present themselves with still more costly, more elegant and larger displays than previously.

DaimlerChrysler Heritage shows a strongly camouflaged prototype of the new super Mercedes on the large stand in hall 1 prior to the first presentation of the new Mercedes Benz S-class at the Frankfurt Motor Show 2005 ...

The central topics of interest of BMW's Mobile Tradition display in hall 12 this year are two anniversaries: 30 years of the BMW 3-series and the 50th anniversary of BMW's 507 and Isetta.

The Audi Tradition dedicates itself exclusively to the important topic "25 years Audi Quattro" and starts with a whole armada of four-wheel-driven Audi classics. The span runs from the original Quattro of the 1980's to the brute force Audi Quattro Pikes Peak up to the Group B Rally car with over 500 HP. In close co-operation with Audi are the additional marques Seat and Lamborghini and the August Horch Museum Zwickau present themselves in hall 7.

Ford leaves the organization of the classic appearance traditionally to the Ford Historic Clubs and provides support. Seven clubs again provide an attractive and diverse stand on the Ford-blue carpet. The Old Ford Friends show a classic Ford Transit as a tow truck, the Ford Capri Club Germany some Capri Concours winners, and as a highlight - depending on availability - the Ford Oldtimer Motorsport Club Cologne presents the new Ford GT framed in the retro look with other Ford GTs such as GT 40, GT 70 and GT 90.

This year's Jaguar stand will feature the RD6, selected XJ-S models, 30, 50 & 70 year celebration displays, the Big Rig and the range of brand new services from the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust (JDHT) and Jaguar Classic Parts Programme featured on the latest release of the JDHT's highly-acclaimed website.

One of the most spectacular of the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust's Collection Cars - the RD-6, will be on full open display for 2005 in celebration of the most famous cars and concepts to have come out of Jaguar's stable. Plus there will be some of the most exciting examples from the XJ-S breed - in celebration of it's 30 years, special celebration display for 50 years of the Mark II and 70 years celebrating the Jaguar name.

Restoration of the famed, and JHDT's totally unique "Big Rig", sees this project almost fully complete for this year's Show. Fully featured and now bringing it back to the former glory commemorating the great Jaguar Racing days, this highly prestigious staging suite will be open this year for the pleasure and enjoyment of the Jaguar classic enthusiast and the wider public.

Furthermore, new to Essen 2005, the JDHT and Jaguar Classic Parts will be showing another adventurous key display feature - www.jdht.com fully interactive and available on line. There will be exclusive attractions featured only on the page displays during the time of the show. To view a
selection of show special offers, the classic owners must head for the Jaguar stand.

Also the importers surpass themselves with ambitious presentations: Citroën for example plans a display on the topic: 50 years Citroën DS - entitled "La Déesse", the goddess as the legendary Citroën DS19 was known with different exhibits from the fifty year construction period. They will also display the hydro-pneumatic system that has been fitted to over ten million Citroën vehicles. Peugeot will impressively illustrate the topic "BREAK" (estate car) with some historic rare pieces. As with Ford the clubs are also active for the French marque with the lion. For approximately two years the Peugeot Amicale Germany, the friendly circle of German Peugeot clubs, provides the stand organization.

Morgan, the last British automobile marque in family hands, still manufactures handmade sports cars free of any compromise. Main attraction at TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN 2005: The new Morgan roadster, which in engine performance and driving experience surpasses its predecessor, the legendary Morgan +8. Further highlights: The Morgan Aero 8 and the new Morgan +4.

TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN 2005: World largest classic trading area. More than 2,000 classic automobiles are offered each year at TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN: More cars are under one roof at the four classic days in Essen than anywhere else worldwide. General market tendencies and dealer comments point to the fact that the trade will demand particularly exquisite vintage models this year - in the centre stand original classics with excellent history.

The Crème de la Crème of the German classic trade, with names such as Axel Schutte, Mirbach, E. Thiesen KG, Klassiche Automobiles Klaus Werner, Franz Prahl is represented at TECHNO CLASSICA together with the most renowned international vintage dealers, including Lukas Hüni AG, Christop Grohe, La Gallery des Damiers, Frank Dale & Stepsons, The Gallery Aaldering Classic & Sportscars and Bruno Vendiesse.

Everyone, who is interested in classic automobiles, comes to TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN to buy - from 1,000 Euros to six million Euros the price range of the offered classics is wide. Beside an enormous selection of vintage, classic and historic sports cars, also prestige automobiles above all the so-called Eighties' classic is highly popular. For some years the amount of young classics on offer at TECHNO CLASSICA has grown constantly.

TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN 2005: Restoration information exchange and restoration academy.

Since its existence TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN shows the achievement of the specialized and qualified international restorers. Renowned companies such as Capricorn, Feierabend, Karasch and Oldtimer Center Osnabrück belong to the regular TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN exhibitors. A special attraction within the restoration section is the TECHNO CLASSICA Academy, which in co-operation with the Vehicle Academy Schweinfurt, the Leeds College of Technology, the company Dinosaurier Werkzeuge, and Ross + Schmidt & Partners as well as the German motor vehicle trade offers visitors interesting views of the skills of the restorers.

TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN 2005: Mechanical information exchange and sales fair for spare parts, tools and maintenance products.

Finding instead of just searching is the outcome at the stands within the classic parts section at TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN: The classic world fair presents the prominent German market to the German and international classic parts dealers. Professional dealers of vintage spare parts, tools and maintenance products offer their large assortment during the four days of TECHNO CLASSICA - clearly arranged.

TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN 2005: World largest classic forum of the vintage clubs. More than 130 classic clubs use TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN to present themselves and their services impressively. They create with their usually costly and imaginative stands a special atmosphere, and offer to the show information an inimitable melange from professional and enjoyable activities. S.I.H.A. make an award in a club Grand Prix to the most imaginatively arranged club stand with a substantial cash prize of 2,500 Euros - this increases the incentive for the clubs to make the maximum effort. The stand organization of some clubs is kept secret, which often remain guarded until just prior to the opening of the classic world fair. However some clubs already lift the veil and give an idea of their plans and thus a view of what TECHNO CLASSICA visitors can expect.

Here are some examples: Under the topic "Africa" the Beetle Friends swinging axle (club for Volkswagens in their original state) will present three historic VW models to "all Mr. Länder". The H. Lanz Friends Ruhr District represent the history of the Lanz Bulldog with an exhibition of Lanz tractors from 1928 to the 70's-years. The Oldtimer Friends Dortmund plan a surprise under the slogan "Vehicle regatta in the yachting port" with an Opel Olympia and a Wanderer W 22 phaeton. The cadet B and Olympia A club Germany is occupied with the IAA 1965 and shows three copies of the cadet B in different versions. The Matra club Germany shows a "before & afterwards show" with a Matra Murena as a barn find and a restored copy. The club for classic Alfa Romeo vehicles fascinates with five rare Zagato creations based on Alfa Romeos. The Scooter Club Berlin concerns itself with the anniversary of 50 years of the East German scooter. 13 Mercedes Benz clubs arrange an enormous 900 square metre stand: With support of the factory the three pointed star clubs arrange a racing circuit on which the individual clubs present their special highlights of their racing history. Among them a Mercedes Benz 500 SEC AMG, which started in 1989 with only two races, disappeared into oblivion afterwards but was discovered by the Mercedes Benz W 126 club again.

Importantly the vintage organization FIVA (Fédération International Véhicules Anciens) makes an appearance at TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN with its own stand at the classic world fair - adjacent to the Federal Association of German Vintage Motor Clubs (DEUVET) which is represented with its own stand.

TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN 2005: The commercial motor vehicle special exhibition.

After the great success of last year's special exhibition of historic trucks and commercial vehicles TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN presents a spectacular special exhibition again in co-operation with the commercial motor veteran vehicle community (NVG) with imposing trucks from automobile history. Topic of the presentation of this year in hall 3: Mercedes Benz commercial motor vehicles - a large exhibition of four legendary L 6500 and L 10,000 trucks and further spectacular vehicles with the long bonnet and the star on the radiator is planned.

TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN 2005: The large show for model cars, accessories, art, literature, automobilia and lifestyle.

Over 60 professional dealers and many part-time salesmen of historic and modern model cars offer historic models as TECHNO CLASSICA ESSEN is the largest specialized model exchange of Germany, an Eldorado for collectors. Together with stands for accessories, art, literature, automobilia and lifestyle articles there is no classic indoor fair, which offers a larger selection of classic clothing, decorative items, art, books, technical literature, brochures, posters - and sometimes paraphernalia in Europe. Amongst the assortment a dealer with historic Louis Vuitton travel accessories is expected."

Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 12:42:08 »
Glenn,
I've been to our own Classic cars shows in UK, at the NEC in Birmingham and Alexandra Palace in London (as recently as yesterday) and the Retromobile in Paris, France.
This will be my third visit to Essen and if you like German iron and want to look for stuff for any German car then this is 'The Dog's Bollocks' (I beleive its OK to use this term in print now that it was used on live TV at the film awards ceremony in the US recently!!).
Yes, it would be worth a trip from the US especially if it can be a combined tour including the MB museum in Stutgart, Classic Center in Fellbach etc.
Convinced??
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

Albert-230SL

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 08:56:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by cees klumper

I would want to arrive when it opens on Saturday, i.e. 9 AM. Meaning we could meet up at around 10-ish?

p.s. I might even have The Poster with me for you, Albert and Achim who are of course all in it ...  :)

The Poster? It would be great!

We can meet in the MB Classic stand on Saturday at 10h. I will give you PW issue 3, and my Full Membership annual fee... that I had to send you some time ago...  :oops:

Regards

Albert de la Torre Chavalera
Barcelona (Catalunya/Spain)
Feb.'64 230 SL Euro 113042-10-002432
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 08:58:17 by Albert-230SL »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 16:21:52 »
Sounds like a fun reunion on the 10th. I will try to get The Poster done by then and, if so, will carry a stack with me...

Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Albert-230SL

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 02:25:02 »
quote:

Sounds like a fun reunion on the 10th. I will try to get The Poster done by then and, if so, will carry a stack with me...

OK. So Saturday 9th of April at 10h in the MB Classic stand. I'll be there!
Cees, besides PW3 and my annual fee, I also have another thing for you: the Böhringer's postcard specially signed to you.

See you there,

Bearcat

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 03:47:19 »
I will try and make it too for the day. I will be flying into Duss. from Dublin 7 leaving that evening. I trust one can buy tickets on the day? taxi from duss to essen is 40€

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 07:34:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by Albert-230SL

We can meet in the MB Classic stand on Saturday at 10h.
quote:

Not "on the 10th", but at 10:00am on the 9th!

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 07:35:57 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Albert-230SL

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 09:22:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by rwmastel

Not "on the 10th", but at 10:00am on the 9th!

Yes!  :)   Thanks for the clarification!  ;)

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 11:41:22 »
I'm also very much interested in going to Essen. I understand you all meet at the MBclassic stand but as I don't know you guys from sight how will I recognise you ? Regards, Paul.

Paul Haems
'68 280SL

Albert-230SL

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 11:59:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by pablo_o2

I'm also very much interested in going to Essen. I understand you all meet at the MBclassic stand but as I don't know you guys from sight how will I recognise you ? Regards, Paul.

Paul Haems
'68 280SL

Please find attached a picture. If you print it, I guess it will help you to recognize me.

Regards, and see you there!

Download Attachment: Albert.jpg
69.59 KB

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 10:19:45 »
Ok, thank you Naj for the nr. and thank you Albert for the foto I will find you there!

Paul Haems
'68 280SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 12:14:48 »
Hey Albert. No offense, but I was hoping for a picture of your car!  ;)

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Albert-230SL

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 07:02:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

Hey Albert. No offense, but I was hoping for a picture of your car!  ;)

James
63 230SL

:D ... OK, try this one. I'm with my brother in the car, who also is attending the Techno Classica Essen... so it's also useful to recognize us.

Regards

Download Attachment: PAGOCircuit.jpg
82.32 KB

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 09:06:47 »
Ahh. Now that's what I was hoping for! Thanks Albert.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL