Author Topic: Injection Pump - Siphon Oil?  (Read 6708 times)

rusty_parts2001

Injection Pump - Siphon Oil?
« on: November 24, 2007, 15:25:12 »
Is there a way to remove excess oil from the mechanical fuel injection pump?  Mine has a dipstick with the red oil filler cap, and it shows way over the full mark.  I tried using various types of siphons (siphon hose, battery filler baster), but have not pulled out enough to get it at the right level.  In other words, is there a drain plug on this thing?

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Injection Pump - Siphon Oil?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 15:58:40 »
Yes, there is a way to drain the pump. The preferred method seems to be using a plant sprayer tube to spray the oil out. Put the rigid tube into where the dipstick goes and spray away. It can hold quite a bit. You should read these 2 posts at least and do a search from there. Once emptied and refilled (about 200ml of light engine oil) keep an eye on the levels. If it comes up again, you might want to think about taking it off and having it looked at. 'O' ring seals are the likely culprit. It's not too hard to remove. The hard part is finding someone capable of re-doing the pump without having to sell the car to pay for it.

There is lots on this site on this subject. I have had the same problem. It can result in really crappy MPG.

Ask if you have any more questions. Oh, and no, there isn't a drain plug.

JH

http://index.php?topic=6486,pump

http://index.php?topic=2972,pump

James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

graphic66

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 16:38:13 »
I use one of those small red tubes used on aerosol spray cans. The red tube gets inserted into a flexible rubber hose. I have wrapped wire around the hose to clamp it to the red tube. I then put the rubber hose on my Mity Vac vacuum pump, place the red tube into the injection pump where the dip stick goes and suck all the oil out with the mity vac. The hardest part is getting a good seal from the red tube to the hose. It works best with the engine hot. Don't forget to fill it back up with engine oil.

Bob G MN

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 17:58:38 »
Actually any kind of a sprayer such as a windex sprayer will work for this.  Just unscrew thge plastic bottle and put the tube in the opening for the pump.  you can remove as much oil as you wish easily.

rusty_parts2001

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 18:35:32 »
Very good tips, one and all.  I think I'll invest in the Mityvac.  One's available at Autozone for about $29.00, then I can epoxy one of those red tubes from an aerosol can to the black tips, put it on their tubing, and pull out the oil via the dipstick hole.

glennard

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 18:35:52 »
Get a clear plastic tubing that fits in the hole.  Use it as a straw.  Take out a few ounces.  Check level.  Repeat until level is correct.
No fuss, no muss!