Author Topic: Body repair sequence, floor panels, sills etc.  (Read 1662 times)

swood1

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Body repair sequence, floor panels, sills etc.
« on: August 20, 2018, 14:44:08 »
Hi all,

I need some advice from the forum of best sequence for new body repair operations.

To summarise my car needs new inner wings (flitch panels), new floor panels and sill repair scetions. 

I started on the worst side (LHS front), for which I have now replaced the LHS front inner wing; later this week I hope to have the support panel back on also.  But I also want to replace the floor panels and add the sill repair sections.   

So my question is once I have sorted out the LHS front end should I then move onto the RHS front of the car and replace this inner wing or should I stay on the LHS of the car and remove the floor panels and replace/repair the sill and then move onto to the RHS?

I have spent hours trying to work out the best sequence of work but it's not straight forward.  Any pointers appreciated.

Regards

Steven

250 SL (early), in bits. Triumph TR4a

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Body repair sequence, floor panels, sills etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 13:22:19 »
You need access to both ends of the sills to do that job so I would cut it apart and start there.  Floor and sill one side then the other.  As you start to add from that foundation I would work from the rear forward.  Think of it this way: The rear wing position is set by the trunk lid and since you are not changing the rear wing you know that is in the right place. The door is fit to the rear wing then the front wing is fit to the door.  If you begin at the front you may end up with too much space between panels.

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 18:34:13 »
It's kind of like building a house. You start with the foundation and work your way up. On a car you should start with the sill and frame rails and then move on the floors and body panels. I usually start with the worst or more rusted side first so that the other stronger side retains the integrity of the car. Floor pans generally go in last.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

swood1

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Worcester
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 12:30:12 »
Thanks guys,

Your advice is what I was hoping.

Steve
250 SL (early), in bits. Triumph TR4a