Author Topic: Selling wrecked car for parts?  (Read 5343 times)

susannah

Selling wrecked car for parts?
« on: May 08, 2014, 14:05:46 »
Hi,
Unfortunately an (ex!)friend of mine wrecked my 1967 250SL (rear-ended someone and smashed drivers corner badly).  Estimates to repair exceed gold book price.  Any ideas of what to do with the car?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 16:32:34 by sassiccaia »

KevinC

Re: Selling wrecked car for parts?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 14:51:27 »
Wow...Sorry to see this happened. Out of curiosity, what were they giving you for a repair estimate? It doesn't seem to be a "total" loss.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 15:57:01 »
Sorry to see this, what a shame such a nice car. I do hope your insurance will cover it.

Kevin from what I can see repairs would most likely be in the 30 to 35K range (exterior plus interior engine compartment components). My preliminary estimate anyway.

Perhaps consider purchasing something like this to use for repair? ----> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-SL-Class-2dr-/171318475831

if the parts should fit ... the rest can be sold ... just a thought?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 16:03:45 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

susannah

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 16:28:52 »
$40K body work only!  And that is not including engine.  
Unfortunately no insurance coverage as driver fled the scene, CHP totally screwed-up the investigation and private investigator has been unable to find alleged driver.  Court case alone is too costly for me to pursue at this point, so must sell car for parts and use money to sue person who had car in their custody.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 16:33:15 by sassiccaia »

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 16:56:27 »
Sorry to hear about your tribulations.
I would love to buy that car if it wasn't on the other side of the world!

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 20:00:59 »
Putting aside the financial situation, the car is repairable - about 3 years ago my wife had an argument with a light pole which gave virtually the same damage. I stripped everything and  took the motor out as well as sourcing all panels and I could have had it repaired for about $45K (the agreed value insurance pay out plus I kept the wreck)  if "project creep" hadn`t set in - recon motor, bare metal respray, etc etc etc.....BUT I was only able to do that because I started with a bucket of cash(insurance payout) and I had the  time and inclination.

I sympathise with you re not having the funds and unfortunately parting it or selling it as is seem to be the only viable options. Parting will probably generate more $$$$s but will take a lot longer.

BTW myt wife and I are still hapily married anad she still drives the car.

Good luck.
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

Mike280sl69

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 05:42:54 »
My deepest sympathy. If you decide to part out the car, I am in Calornia and would like to come by.

Mike
(408)841-6657

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 16:14:57 »
So, your friend borrowed your car, crashed it, and now he can't be found even by a PI or the Police? Also, how would that invalidate your insurance?

Sounds fishy.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 18:14:49 »
I initially understood the person who was rear ended fled the scene, which does not make much sense. But by re-reading the comment it may be that the pagoda was driven by a different person that the one who had it in his/her custody, and that different person fled the scene. Unless the car was stolen, it may well be that the insurance of the responsible party won't cover if the responsible driver flees the scene.   

alchemist

• Senior
  • USA, NY, GRAND ISLAND
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 01:55:21 »
If you are mechanically inclined, dismantle the car to small pieces and you may recover the value of the car. These piece are very expensive, some are not available on the market such as relays, injection pumps parts, interior, trim, and on and on. Good Luck.

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 17:19:32 »
Stick or automatic? I might be interested in parts too. Sorry for the loss.