Author Topic: Kangol seat belt with retractors  (Read 3435 times)

Tom Colitt

Kangol seat belt with retractors
« on: April 18, 2013, 20:17:45 »
In my quest for originality, I came across these Kangol seat belts with automatic retractors that seem like a good option for our Pagodas except that I believe only the lap belt portion of the belt has the benefit of being retractable. The shoulder belt is fixed and, I think latches into the buckle of the lap belt. Can anyone confirm this?....

http://www.ebay.de/itm/130874120618?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Kangol seat belt with retractors
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 20:27:45 »
Hi, Tom,

You may have seen this thread - or not. It may help with your question, which sadly I can't answer as I fitted different belts to my car, although I used the MB bulletin process, which is mentioned here also.

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=17987.0

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Dave H

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Durham
    • Dave H
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 10:30:41 »
Hi Tom

As you can see from the thread mentioned by James i have fitted these belts, they look fabulous but do require a bit of modification to make them work.
The reel can either go under the parcel shelf or behind the side cover....i fitted behind the side cover as it was the least intrusive and easier method of fitting these particular reels as they are slightly larger than other reels.

When fitting the shoulder height guide which the belt runs through.
1) You could use the existing (if fitted) low shoulder mounts behind the side covers( which make the belt twist over your shoulder)
2) or follow mercedes higher mount fitting instructions, as i did, but only do this if your car is in for work as it involves grinding and welding .
3) or follow James easier method, slightly less intrusive , slightly lower, shoulder mounting  but has the bonus of requiring no welding..

Best of luck which ever way you go but if you decide to get these belts be aware that they are not an easy fit but with a bit of modification they can look fabulous.
Cannot show finished pictures yet as car is still months away from interior fit up....millions of jobs to do first but when stripping the car i cut the side cover slots, drilled the 2 holes and fitted the higher shoulder seatbelt anchor point, the belts worked and ran just fine.
Dave
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:20:11 by Dave H »
Mercedes 250SL    1967
Mercedes 250SLK  2014
Alfa Romeo 166 3.2 Ti
Fiat 500

Dave H

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Durham
    • Dave H
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 18:16:06 »
It's the shoulder end that's retractable .. Same as in a modern car
Mercedes 250SL    1967
Mercedes 250SLK  2014
Alfa Romeo 166 3.2 Ti
Fiat 500

Tom Colitt

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 15:32:44 »
Thanks Dave

It's never easy, but I like the authenticity factor with these belts. I have installed the retractor in front of the cross member at the factory mounting location. You give up a few inches of seat movement, but It works for us shorter people.... Same with the upper shoulder mount.