Author Topic: Parcel shelf dimensions, under-seat height  (Read 4197 times)

supertweet

Parcel shelf dimensions, under-seat height
« on: December 13, 2012, 22:27:48 »
Hello All,

My wife and I are inheriting my uncle's 230SL; we are very excited, and plan a mild refresh and weekly enjoyment out of it in his memory. However, a stipulation from the better half is that our goofy Boxer dog fit in the parcel shelf area. We did this in our Triumph and he loved it, but I'm concerned about the relatively shallow depth and height of the113's shelf. Does anyone have or be willing to measure the width and depth of the shelf, as well as the height from shelf floor to hard tonneau cover?

Also, I'm curious if any have measured the space under the seats. We built a small compartment for a hideaway under the triumph's seats, and would like to do the same here. I realize the floor pan isn't completely flat, rising up towards the parcel shelf, but if there's space behind the front seat crossmember, particularly height, I think I could do it. I plan on a tilting seat bracket in any case to access the parcel shelf, so we could get at it.

If any have these dimensions it's greatly appreciated. I've been reading your forums for a few months now, and am excited to join your community. Thanks to all.

Jeff

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Re: Parcel shelf dimensions, under-seat height
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 09:04:54 »
There is space under the parcel shelves, a good place to store spares etc.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

KevinC

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 20:24:56 »
Jeff,

Congrats on your inheritance and sorry for your loss.

Assuming you are looking for the internal dimensions of the open space? I get approximately 40" across; 14" from the "floor" of the shelf to the metal strip along the vinyl piece on the soft top cover. With seats in a normal driving position (I'm 5'9" so not all the way back) about 14" from the seat directly back to the soft top cover. 

Kevin

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 21:54:41 »
Jeff,

Another alternative is to actually not have the shelves in there like it is done where a Kindy Seat is fitted and there is a 'foot well'  of small dimensions.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

supertweet

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 22:53:20 »
Thanks to all for responding. First, our prayers to the families suffering over the horrific Connecticut shootings. Just horrible. All you parents, cherish your children.

Kevin thank you so much for the dimensions. That last 14"; is that the total depth of the parcel shelf including dead space between shelf and seat?

Garry, thanks for the input; I'd like to have the shelf so that the dog has a flat space to lay/sit, and we can also use the dove underneath for blankets, dog seatbelt, etc.

It appears there's just enough room. Any further inout's appreciated, and if any have photos of their critters, or children, in the back, feel free to share!

Thanks again to all; have a nice weekend.

Jeff

KevinC

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 03:38:57 »

Kevin thank you so much for the dimensions. That last 14"; is that the total depth of the parcel shelf including dead space between shelf and seat?Garry, thanks for the input; I'd like to have the shelf so that the dog has a flat space to lay/sit, and we can also use the dove underneath for blankets, dog seatbelt, etc.

Jeff

Jeff...not sure what you mean by "depth" but feel there is definitely enough room for a boxer.  Does this pic help...?

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 16:10:03 »
Jeff,

I would assume that your dog must have some comfort while being transported, which - given the available space - is quite questionable in a Pagoda, unless your pet is a chihuahua or so.

Should you be unable to convince your better half to squeeze your dog into it, and the car looses its appeal to her, I am happy to volunteer as a problem reliever and take the entire unbearable car burden on me (including the car). Free of charge that is ;D

FYI, we have no dog so the problem is resolved...

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 21:07:05 by Flyair »
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

supertweet

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 22:19:21 »
Thanks all.

The dog will be fine curled up. I unfortunately can't take measurements myself as the car's currently in SoCal and we're in San Francisco, so I appreciate all the advice. Anything else one may wish to add is welcome.

We'll be sure to post once we pick up the car.