Author Topic: swapping an automatic for a manual 5 speed  (Read 5480 times)

dj415

swapping an automatic for a manual 5 speed
« on: September 10, 2010, 08:54:45 »
I'm new to this forum so please be kind. I've searched but find way too much jargon for me to understand.  You all speak in part numbers etc.  I don't know these things.

My question is fairly simple.  Would I be able to swap out my automatic on my '67 250 SL for a manual transmission.  Preferably a 5 speed.

Sure, all things are possible but...

My work of art is desperate for a higher gear.

Thank you.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: swapping an automatic for a manual 5 speed
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 09:07:42 »
Welcome. Nice car.

The search function is pretty good, just a bit quirky (and 100 times better than the last one!).

I think that the general consensus is that original 5 speed transmissions are as rare as hens teeth. (There is a post about some new ones being built for about $10K on the site, I think, and others have used non MB transmissions to get better gearing).

A more simple - and far cheaper solution - would be to change your rear axle to a lower ratio. First, you need to find out what ratio your current rear axle is, then go from there.

There is a TON of info on the site about such conversions (I have been in the middle of one myself for the past 18 months or so). In the UK new - used, from a 3.5 sedan - axles go for about £250 or so. I'd recommend that as your start point rather than the gearbox.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 12:33:21 »
My work of art is desperate for a higher gear.

I have to weigh in on this every now and then.

We have to remember that this engine, or more properly, "these engines" M127, M129, M130, were designed in a different era than today, with different characteristics than we are used to driving with.  Hence, the car isn't desparate for a higher gear, the driver is!

I believe these engines have a higher redline, and max torque (@ 4500/4700 RPM) at a higher RPM than that on your typical daily driver of today, but typical of the times.

That being said, I've been in a [280SL] car with a different rear axle effecting an overdrive; it is considerably quieter and more pleasant a drive on the highway.  Ray Hays here fitted a T5, and at least one long highway drive in it.  I suspect that is every bit as quiet with the RPM's down a bit at highway speed.

I read an article recently in which some respected British automotive engineer stated, "We could never figure out why you Americans had such trouble with British cars reliability...until WE got motorways and were driving all day at 80 MPH (at which point they too, started falling apart).  I think we are driving differently too, than in the 1960's.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 20:28:05 »
I agree. Luckily, traffice jams in the Netherlands obviate the need for higher gearing as mine is happily and noisily doing 150 km/h which is about the max I ever do. At 100-120 km/h I'm fine with the high revs. Sure, you can't hear the radio but the engine sounds so sweet!

Peter

(PS: I took my advanced driver course today... anyone interested in some footage of a 40 year old Pagoda "drifting" on a slippery surface... we did high-speed driving on a 45 degree banked circuit, escape manouvers at 60, 70 and 80 km/h on dry road and on very slippery roads (including some 360 degree skids), etc etc. Very interesting to do this and learn about all the driving techniques for rear wheel drive cars with no ABS, traction control, and other three-letter abreviation technology).
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Yes, Please.

Is that with a good water pump?

naj
68 280SL

treedoc

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 06:20:54 »
Has anyone had any experience retro fitting a five speed Toyota Supra box to a 113?
Down here in Aus that seems to be the most prefered choice for high powered conversions

Drewtee

• Silver
  • England, Kent, Sevenoaks
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 06:28:18 »
anyone interested in some footage of a 40 year old Pagoda "drifting" on a slippery surface...

Yes, very!
Andy Tee

Rhd 5 speed 728h with parchment interior
White Californian 280sl LHD
W111 3.5 Cab and Coupe both RHD

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Yes, Please.

Is that with a good water pump?

naj

Nope. It's still working but the bearing makes some noise. I just dropped the car of for it's service and a new pump, hopefully ready on tuesday...

I'll see what I can do with the video I took!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

jacovdw

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 11:15:21 »
...At 100-120 km/h I'm fine with the high revs. Sure, you can't hear the radio but the engine sounds so sweet!

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I must confess that my radio is just there for cosmetic reasons and is not even connected. The sweet sound of that engine is a symphony in its own right...  :D