Author Topic: Tach!!  (Read 697 times)

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
Tach!!
« on: March 29, 2024, 22:59:30 »
Ok so putting it back together and testing everything before I really put it together....  Got a bunch of Dash stuff in and fired her up and No Tach!  Fixed 2 leaks that leaked at the last test and figured the Tach cable was just not on tight enough.  I still think that is the problem...  When I got a camera in there I see there is still some room to tighten the cable?  Should it go all the way down?  I cannot get it to move anymore with my hands.  Is it maybe off alignment or do I need to get a wrench in there?  Or could it be something else?

Also saw a tiny bit of antifreeze on the top of my heater core.  Kill me if I have to get that part out again! 
1966 230SL Automatic 717G Papyrus White "Minny"

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
Re: Tach!!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 23:09:50 »
I am going to go look around... Is it possible to pull the cable out far enough so that I can attach it outside of the dash?

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 08:42:09 »
Have you read this?

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/RevCounter#CableProblems

Seems the drive cable must be free inside the outer protective sheath, it can get stuck where it passes through the firewall grommet, and then it won't locate far enough into the rear of the tachometer, it says the knurled nut should be finger tight
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 14:12:00 »
I ran into similar issues installing my tach recently. What worked for me was to first make the connection at the engine end. Then make the connection at the tach end. There is a small bracket attached to the accelerator bracket that secures the tach line in the engine compartment - be sure to unfasten the tach line from that bracket. It will provide a little more slack to attach at the tach end. Its all tight in there.   
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 17:19:11 »
Cool thanks guys I will give it a go today.
A

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 18:52:22 »
Argg...  So I could not get my hand or a tool on the nut to remove the cable from the Engine.  So I pulled as much slack as I could get and got it out enough were I could really line up the cable and make sure it was going all the way into the Tach.  Fired her up..... No movement.  Took it off and fired her up, cable is spinning.
Took the tach to the bench, put the drill and spun it... Nothing.  So I guess I am taking the Tach apart again.

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 19:51:43 »
Hmm.  So I guess I never took this piece totally apart during the summer.  Now I am remembering this was the only part that was working great!  Ha!  So opened it up and realize I don't really know what I am looking at and cannot find anything online but will keep looking.  But when I opened it up everything spins fine.  But there was grease on one side, I am assuming that it should not have leaked out there.  So I have been cleaning it up.  Then looking at the "Cup" piece with the needle at the bottom I am seeing grease all over the inside.  (I don't know) But I am guessing that this should not be here.  My brain wants to say it should be clean in here and just grease on the outside of the cup so it spins?  Any thoughts?  I will keep searching... 

BobH

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 20:04:30 »
UK delivered RHD
Blue soft top
Blue leather

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 20:14:29 »
Cool thanks.  I am terrible at finding things in the tech section.

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 21:08:59 »
Interesting Read! Great info!  Now I am a little more confused on the "grease"!  Definitely feel like my grease is all over the place and I need to clean it but he only greased a few spots.  I am going to do what he wrote and we will see if she comes back to life!

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2024, 22:07:04 »
Cleaned up I found 2 holes in my "cup" like Aart found a hole in his.  Odd.

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2024, 01:13:32 »
ok so if anyone can confirm......
So cleaned up, and greased as it said in the Pagoda Notes.  Put it back together and when I put the drill in and go clockwise... nothing.  When I reverse it the needle bounces.  I am hoping that is how this works and counter clockwise is is correct.   I am going to put it on the car tomorrow and see what happens...
A

BobH

• Gold
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2024, 08:40:35 »
In simplistic terms, if the needle turns clockwise looking from the front, the cable needs to turn anti-clockwise (or counter-clockwise for you non UK residents)
UK delivered RHD
Blue soft top
Blue leather

acbrock

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Monica
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2024, 19:02:38 »
Ok popped the tach back in and spinning like a charm!  Whahoo.  Ok now just have to button it all up get the glass in and the put it in for real.
Thanks for all the help!