Author Topic: Almost there & chrome costs  (Read 4806 times)

DB280

Almost there & chrome costs
« on: November 09, 2007, 12:33:39 »
Hi,
Following some requests for photos a while back,here is a taster of my almost finished 280.Most of the work done by Hightone and that lovely chrome by Colonnade.Just the interior to do and a few mods that I am planning.More details soon.

Garry  

Download Attachment: 280sl 91107.jpg
45.86 KB
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 14:29:20 by DB280 »

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Almost there & chrome costs
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 11:18:28 »
Garry,

Looks wonderful. Can you give me an idea of the chroming costs for items you've had done? I've been searching out quotes for rear bumpers and the strops that go down the side of the windshield pillar and have had a mixed response. Any info would be useful.

Also, you may wish to note that the battery cover area behind the grill of the car would have originally been painted (by brush apparently) a satin black and would not have been in the body colour of the car.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

DB280

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 14:27:11 »
Hi James,

Thanks for the tip on the battery cover.As for the chrome plating I had the work done in 2 lots.The front and rear bumpers,heater intake grille,number plate surround and the strips either side of the boot lock cost £600 plus vat.One of the rear bumpers was dented and needed some remedial work.

Every other item on the car cost £1200 plus vat.The grille required a fair bit of work but everything else was in good condition.The turn around was around 6 weeks.All the work was undertaken by Colennade of Wembley. tel 020 8902 7722

Hope this helps

Garry

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 06:37:42 »
Garry,

Thanks. I think that sounds like a good price. I think I'll drop them a line and send a few photos if you think their work is of a good standard. My rear bumper also has a few dings.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL