Author Topic: Body ready for transport to sand blaster and paint  (Read 2852 times)

CJHenderson

• Silver
  • USA, AR, Benton
Body ready for transport to sand blaster and paint
« on: September 18, 2017, 11:16:38 »
After over two years of being in the garage this Mercedes is on its way to be sand blasted and painted. The hood, trunk, hard top & doors are aluminum and needs to be sandblasted at another place who specialize in aluminum. Then the real fun will start in the rebuild.
1970 280SL/8 W113 101624 miles.
1950 MG-TD
2021 Harley Davidson CVO Trike

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
Re: Body ready for transport to sand blaster and paint
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 16:14:57 »
Good luck with this part of the process.

In my case, what was once sold (to me) as a rust free car, this process revealed the true condition of the car.

The guy who did my media blasting used a plastic media. He appeared a bit concerned how I would respond after I got the car back from him. It certainly looked much rougher than when he took it but not nearly as bad as others have experienced. He applied a epoxy primer only to the steel. All aluminum came back bare metal and even had some bondo still on it because he did not want to hit it any harder. Even though I contracted separately with the Media Blaster, the body shop was satisfied with the result of the work since they also take their cars to the same guy. The body shop handled the bondo removal and have since completed all metal and body work.

Good luck again. This will give you a good idea of what the body work will cost and in my opinion, the best way to approach a restoration on these cars.

I see you had the same idea with building a dolly. In my case, the media blasting guy placed it on backwards but it did not matter much.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic