Author Topic: When does it make sense to restore a hardtop?  (Read 7099 times)

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
When does it make sense to restore a hardtop?
« on: January 05, 2010, 17:52:55 »
I'm just about finished completing a full frame-on cosmetic and mechanical restoration on my '71.  I could really use some advice from the group to see if it makes sense to restore the hardtop in my case.  I would probably rate the matching number hardtop (has the heated rear glass too) a  6 or 7 on a scale of 1-10.  The paint was taken down to bare metal, the wood was redone, the rear window chrome and chrome base have been re-chromed.  The weak areas are the window seals, the outer brass trim has a few scratches, and the headliner looks a bit tired but no rips or stains.  I live in California so the hardtop will be on probably only a few weeks a year, if at all.  Based on my description of the hardtop in it's current state, how would it impact positively or negatively the overall value of my SL?  If I spend $4K on a full hardtop restoration (plus $500 to buy the aluminum trim for the ski rack attachment from the Classic Center), will I get that money back out of the car?

I've done everything else on the car mechanically and cosmetically, cutting no corners.  Ideally I'd like to have the hardtop reflect the condition of the rest of the car, but I'm on the fence on this one.  Any and all feedback will be much appreciated!  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 17:10:19 by Nate »
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

Miloslav Maun

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Czech Republic, Praha, Prague
  • 1966 230 SL
    • http://www.pagoda.un.cz
Re: When does it make sense to restore a hardtop?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 18:45:27 »
I would keep the hardtop untouched. You are not going to use it much anyway and if you once plan to sell the car nobody will pay you back for that job.
I live in central Europe and it rains more often here than in California. Restoring the hard top is on the bottom of my list.

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 22:08:50 »
I agree with Muff,
I restored my hard top to now realise that it will sit on a stand for 9 months a year and in some years probably not get used at all.  The $3k it ended up costing to strip, re rubber the glass and re chrome everything could have been better spent elsewhere and I doubt that it will make little if any difference to the ultimate price I may get back if I was to sell.
If I spend $4K on a full hardtop restoration (plus $500 to buy the aluminum trim for the ski rack attachment from the Classic Center), will I get that money back out of the car?
This should not be the reason for doing it. Like restoring the car you will lose money if that is the goal.   
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

douglas dees

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 01:30:23 »
 :) My hardtop was a mess and I completely re did it. It was time consuming and expensive $3500. I t now sits in the basement for the last three years taking up space. It does look nice.
Doug Dees
Toronto 1969 280 SL

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 15:38:32 »
Leave it alone!
A proper hard top resto will easily cost £4000 if done properly and you'll never recover that UNLESS you are trying to make your car one of the exclusive £70,000 brigade, in which case it'll be money well spent.
(I'll leave you to make the dollar conversion!)

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 13:14:02 »
Cheaper to restore the hardtop now rather than at some time in the future since all costs will be going up.  It all boils down to what will make you happy.  From your post it appears as if you already have a great deal of time and money in the restoration and that an unfinished component, even one that you might not use regularly, will be a source of irritation every time you see it.  Personally, I would do the hardtop as well and not be concerned about speculative future values.

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 17:54:04 »
  Personally, I would do the hardtop as well and not be concerned about speculative future values.

Fully agree to our group's gullwing owner ( ;D) ej.

The hardtop belongs to the car and eventually makes a "pagoda" out of the W113.
Personally, I prefer using the hardtop instead of extended driving with the softtop up - especially on longer trips or when the cabriolet season is over.

Often the hardtop is just treated stepmotherly and I don't think that does justice to this nice part - even though it might not be used that regularly.  :o
However, you will use it more regularly once it has been converted into nice condition as well.
Therefore, my recommendation too: do it. ;) :D

You don't need to do it now. I fully understand that you do not currently want to spend even more money than really necessary. Instead, you can finish the HT later, let's say in a year or so. ;)

Good luck!
Achim
Achim
(Germany)

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 01:50:33 »
Decision has been made to do a full and complete restoration of the hardtop.  Thanks for everyone's input!
1971 280SL

Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

abe280SL

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 02:04:10 »
I luse my hard top 1/2 of the year....the car looks better with it on.  I think you made the correct decision...my only advice is to use it once in a while.  It adds class and elegance to the car.
abe

Decision has been made to do a full and complete restoration of the hardtop.  Thanks for everyone's input!

Witt

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 02:22:59 »
......am I the only one, nobody mentioned how much more solid and rigid the Pagoda feels WITH the HT. We are fortuned here in BC for having a very mild winter and I am driving my Pagoda a few times a week with the hard top installed.
But come May the HT comes off and it's convertable time for the next six month. (The fact that I am itching to use my nifty home made HT hoist has nothing to do with that.......!!!!

I very seldom drive with the Soft Top up, it's a pain to operate (up or down) and very noisy  at freeway speeds when up.

CHEERS !
WITT !
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:35:13 by Witt »

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 12:40:56 »
For most Pagoda-drivers - including myself - the hard top is an essential part of the 113's appeal, it transforms a sportscar into a refined GT with more stiffness and less noise (but actually makes it less aerodynamic). However, as most of us have bought our cars to cruise top down on sunny days, the hard top has less priority than the rest of the car, so if I was you I would restore it over time when time and money allows.
Personally, I can't wait to take off my hard top in the spring, but I'm also equally eager to get i back on in the autumn...
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

717-113

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 08:05:44 »
(plus $500 to buy the aluminum trim for the ski rack attachment from the Classic Center)
Just wondering, what aluminum part is this? Any pictures? Thanks

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 22:51:40 »
These are the aluminum garnish mouldings that were a factory option.  They run down the roof of the hardtop from the windshield to the rear window.  The Eckel ski racks snap into them.  $609 and change including all the mounting hardware.  Sorry, no pics yet.
1971 280SL

Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored