W113 Pagoda SL Group > Drive train, fuel, suspension, steering & brakes

5 Speed Manual - Test Drive

(1/4) > >>

Wolfmann:
I was lucky enough to drive Mark Turnbull's absolutely outstanding 280 SL today. It is common knowledge that he has converted his car to run a Getrag five speed manual box without any cutting of the body and, if one obtains a spare shaft of some sort (I'm a lawyer - I don't understand these things!) no damage or irreversible change to the original auto unit either. The old box and brace plate are retained should one wish to change back although outside London I can't imagine why you'd want to !

The first gear ratio is perfect and the clutch engagement has just the correct amount of harshness to the bite, the gears are smooth to select and beautifully placed with a relatively short throw (reverse is off to the upper left). The car rips through the rev range, certainly giving its best above 2000 and making an intoxicating exhaust note above 3000 - It just gets better right up to 5000 where I felt compelled to change up as it wasn't my car and the roads were wet and greasy !

The engine really is suited to a manual box and I already regret spending the money I have on having my auto overhauled, then again I do live in London. The car feels far more sprightly than my 230 did although my engine was in poor condition. It is just easier to exploit the quite peaky characteristics of the engine - Don't misunderstand, there is plenty of torque but it just seems to go ballistic between 3 and 5 thousand. We were on a short road with limited time due to a fast approaching storm and no roof but I managed to get the car dropped into fifth and it appeared to be doing well over 70mph at about 2600 revs or thereabouts.

The note from Marks full stainless exhaust system is poetic, rorty but not common or loud. The car handles beautifully with very little body roll (this is my first proper drive in a sorted W113) which did surprise me.

The steering wasn't as precise as I expected but mine steered the same way on my short drive before it was stripped. Towards the end of the drive I had adapted to it. It is just a big change from a "modern" car, and honestly, along with the noisy injection pump is about the only thing that marks the car out as a survivor from the 60's that is approaching 50 years old. I took many pictures of the car. I have some of the greasy bits and the box installation if anyone wants to see them.

Meanwhile I hope you enjoy the pictures of a truly remarkable "as new" example. The rebuild of which has recently been finished. Although it escapes me quite where, Mark insists there are a few little jobs he still wishes to tackle. A perfectionist, I think, also friendly and helpful with a huge knowledge of every weird little point I asked about incuding trim and screw fasteners.

The drive in the SL alone was well worth the 500 mile round trip to Sunderland but Mark had some parts I needed too including a beautifully  re-chromed grille surround. He was also kind enough, with one of his friends, to fit a new length of flanged brake pipe and union to each of those strange little Y shaped brackets on the front brakes that are no longer available. Mine were in a terrible state and one had been sheared off. The other partially crushed.

Thanks for a great day Mark !

Wolfmann:
Four colour shots of an achingly pretty car, thanks Mr Braq !!!

Wolfmann:
More pictures.

Wolfmann:
Don't all rush in with opinions, contrary experiences, ideas etc !! ;)

Larry & Norma:
Maybe we are all in agreement, it is a very pretty car. My 280 is an automatic which I am more than happy with.
I did get to drive Jamie Howard's 230 manual which was also a great drive. I was a a little reluctant to 'welly' it
as a) it was not my car and b) it had the steering wheel on the wrong side and so manual changes took some
getting used to with my right hand. I think all versions of this car are both fun and 'achingly pretty'
Larry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version