Author Topic: adjustment of throttle closing damper (dashpot) is limited to 4mm  (Read 56 times)

pauloe

• Junior Level
  • Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island
My dashpot was shot.  Got a used one that works and it has improved things.  Smoother shifts (manual).  But I am only able to adjust the distance that the pin is depressed to a max of 4mm.  Beyond 4mm the other end of the bracket that moves to depress the pin hits the round body of the dashpot. The dashpot pin has another 3mm of travel to go but I am not able to utilize it.  Thinking if the current setting of 4mm improves things, would 5mm or 6mm make it even better?

Is something wrong in my setup?  This new used dashpot is exactly the same as the old one that was installed. I see two dashpot versions, a longer pin version that was for early 230SL, and this shorter pin version that is for later 230 and all 250,280.  The longer pin version would fix my problem because it would keep the bracket further away from the dashpot body.  (or I could add a shim to the spot on the bracket that contacts the pin, effectively lengthening the pin).  But the short pin version is supposed to work for my 1969 280.  Or is 4mm that max that this should ever be adjusted?

I can't see what might be wrong with my setup because the L shaped bracket that moves to depress the pin is a fixed shape.  If one end contacts the pin then the other end is always a fixed distance from the pin end.  So the conflict with the dashpot body is unavoidable at 4mm depression.

Pic shows point where pin is depressed 4mm, showing the bracket contacting the dashpot body.

This dashpot is: when all the way out the pin extends 27mm from the metal body of dashpot (ignoring the rubber boot).  diameter of dashpot body is 44mm.

Any thoughts appreciated.  Paul
Paul
1969 280SL 4 speed 050 white 040 black

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
This is the point of interference?  Is the linkage adjusted properly?  Can you adjust the position of the dashpot using the nut, bolt mounting?  You say old and less old dashpots are the same - do they have part numbers on them to validate that?  Are you sure this one came from an SL engine?  Sedan may be different.  Just some random thoughts.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

pauloe

• Junior Level
  • Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island
Thanks Rodd. Yes my original dashpot and the used one I just got are exactly the same.  See pics.
Since they match, and since the used one came from Gernold, I am pretty sure these are SL dashpots. 
Yes I am adjusting dashpot in/out with the two nuts on the dashpot's threaded shaft.
And see pic showing the point of interference (black arrow) between L bracket (red arrow) and dashpot body, this is with the pin depression set at 4mm. (pin is depressed 4mm when linkage settles in closed position)
I was actually starting to go through joe's linkage tour when I noticed my faulty dashpot, and yes I need to finish that.
But any adjustment to linkages will only move the L bracket in the forward/back direction (down/up in pic). But I need this L bracket to move right to avoid the interference. (or the dashpot to move left). Don't see how linkage adjustments can do this.  But I will finish my way through the linkage tour and see.
Paul
1969 280SL 4 speed 050 white 040 black