Author Topic: Distributor Shaft loose and wobbles  (Read 4234 times)

forrestjordan

Distributor Shaft loose and wobbles
« on: August 22, 2009, 02:22:58 »
The Distributor shaft on my 1970 280sl is a little loose and has a very slight wobble.  It appears that MB no longer makes the distributor so I am planning on rebuilding it, does anybody have any experience with getting parts to do so?  Any special issues I should be aware of?  Any better ideas?

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Distributor Shaft loose and wobbles
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 01:55:22 »
You likely have the 062 distributor which is the one used with the CD ignition unit. This distributor tends to wear out in two places - the top bushing on the main shaft and the cam lobe shaft. In the later case the wear seems to be from lack of lubrication.
 Normally whenever you change the points you would put a few drops of oil under the rotor on the felt wick. This would be enough to keep everything free and moving smoothly. In the case of the 062 the points wear very slowly and can last for years. Since nothing seems to ever go wrong there's usually little or no maintanance performed. The cam lobe shaft shaft runs dry and can even sieze up or be full of rust. If it's still free there's a good chance that the main shaft is worn. I have a few tricks to tighten this area back up but if it's really worn I can only make it take some wear. The top bushing is fairly easy to replace but it helps to have the special tools to do this type of work.
The only really acurate way to set up a distributor is with a tester that spins the distributor while I check for start of advance, rate of advance, dwell angle and point of fire. Several different tests can be done such as testing the vacuum cell and point plate wear. This machine will also test the points and condensor.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC