Author Topic: Restoration - Update  (Read 59603 times)

franjo_66

• Silver
  • Australia, NSW, Point Piper
Re: Restoration - Update
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2008, 00:30:16 »
Hi Bob

My car underwent a major restoration recently. I can confirm that the bodyshop did NOT section the car whilst painting, and I would not see a reason why they would ?

After body & panel repairs, whole car was done in primer, followed by underbody, etc. Very happy with end result, will upload more pictures once interior is finished.

Rgds
Frank
1966 230SL Black/Auto/RHD
1996 E36 AMG
Franjo

1965 230SL Black/Auto/RHD
2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
1983 BMW 735i
1986 560 SEC
1991 500SL
1982 Holden Statesman DeVille

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2008, 06:14:18 »
Hey Bob,

Hopefully they are going to paint the engine bay body colour and not boot colour.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

bpossel

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2008, 12:06:13 »
Hi Bob,

After reading your reply, you had me worried![:0]
I called and confirmed that they are not painting the bay boot color.  It will be body color.  This was already known, but something I know that I never discussed with them. I have been more focused on other specifics with them, ie not to paint the door guides, not to paint the ground spots, etc....

Thanks for the thought... :)
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by hands_aus

Hey Bob,

Hopefully they are going to paint the engine bay body colour and not boot colour.

RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

Ricardo

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2008, 13:20:23 »
Hi Bob
If they are just using primer, they may be sectioning off the areas that have been bare sanded and repaired and then they primer that section to keep the bare metal from oxidizing. If they have a climate controlled factory or very low natural humidity then they could leave areas of bare metal, but fine rusting can occur overnight with even a small amount of humidity and then you need to sand again. If they are doing the final paint in sections, then this wouldn't apply and I would agree that it seems unusal to do it like that.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2008, 22:41:10 »
Wow Bob. How exciting! I don't know how you can stand the wait... I had to sweat it out for a week and half while my hubcaps were being painted -- and it about drove me crazy! (and the car was sitting in my garage the whole time!! [:0])

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2008, 05:35:05 »
Bob, It looks just fantastic, inside and out, you must be so excited to get it back home. Did you travel to Metric to inspect the ongoing progress and take the photos or did they send you photo updates?

Your documentation and photos of your project are so interesting and helpful to all of us, Thank You!

Mark
1970 280 SL Ivory/Cognac
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 05:40:03 by Mark280SL »
Mark

bpossel

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2008, 06:40:55 »
Hi Mark, thanks for the compliment!  No I didnt travel to Metric, but really wish I could have.  Mike Ellis at Metric was great to work with.  I did have to "bug" him several times to ensure that he was taking some pictures of my engine work as it progressed.  I suggested to Mike that Metric ought to consider including a picture and signed autograph of the engineer that worked on each specific engine.  A picture of the completed engine with the engineer and autograph.  This would be similar to what AMG includes with their remastered MBs. I think this adds to the unique history of our cars as they age...  
Regards, Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2008, 03:09:52 »
Bob,
I have been following along with your restoration since my car is also in a similar state. Really not wanting to be one of those picky armchair guys I wasn't going to mention this but thought since you were being so correct on the rest of it I should speak up.

Are you aware that the underside of the car was originally just rubber undercoat for the vast majority of it and the body was sprayed and the overspray was simply allowed allowed to drift under the car?

The net effect is a white rubber underside with paint at the  rockers in the wheelwells(complete) and down the firewall.

If you click on the Mercedes for sale and go down to the blue sold 1971 280SL(listed for 105k) and click on that you will see some great undercar pictures. They did make mention somewhere about the transmission plate being the wrong color in the photos.

http://www.motoringinvestments.com/MainPage.htm

bpossel

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2008, 05:11:07 »
Thanks Patrick.  The way that you describe the process is the first time that it all makes sense....  that the underside "center", transmission tunnel; driveshaft area, etc. is (or was, in my case) just left in a primer color.
While I am trying to stay original, there are are some changes that I decided to make....  One is color.  As you all know, I changed my color from light beige, to light ivory.  While not the color on my data card, it will still be a nice color (and original MB color code of the era) and since I had my entire body stripped to the metal, I think it has been done "right" and hopefully the color change wont effect sell price some day.  Ed Cave did a color change and his car sold for a nice price :) .
The other change that I decided to make, was to go ahead and undercoat and paint the entire underside.  While not original, I think this makes the end result a higher quality job.  MB cars have always been known for their quality (except the late 90's, early 2000's models when price point was their goal), so some of these earlier deficiencies, ie not painting the entire underside are somewhat surprising.
Anyway, I do appreciate your comments, as well as I hope others will chime in on what they think and know about how these cars were made and what improvements may be good and/or not good to make...
Happy Easter!
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by Shvegel

Bob,
I have been following along with your restoration since my car is also in a similar state. Really not wanting to be one of those picky armchair guys I wasn't going to mention this but thought since you were being so correct on the rest of it I should speak up.

Are you aware that the underside of the car was originally just rubber undercoat for the vast majority of it and the body was sprayed and the overspray was simply allowed allowed to drift under the car?

The net effect is a white rubber underside with paint at the  rockers in the wheelwells(complete) and down the firewall.

If you click on the Mercedes for sale and go down to the blue sold 1971 280SL(listed for 105k) and click on that you will see some great undercar pictures. They did make mention somewhere about the transmission plate being the wrong color in the photos.

http://www.motoringinvestments.com/MainPage.htm

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 05:12:25 by bpossel »

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2008, 11:13:48 »
Bob,
Actually I've been meaning to ask you if you took alot of dissasembly pictures of your car? My car started out whole and I sent it off to Minnesota to a friend for what I thought was going to be a fairly intense body restore. Well, It started fairly well and now the front and rear suspension,driveline,dash, top and all the interior are out of the car, it currently has no fenders or quarter panels on it and I didn't take it apart.

I was wondering if you might be willing to share some of your photos?
Regards,
Pat Price

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2008, 20:34:57 »
Hello Bob,

Very impressive work on the engine. I am sure you are getting anxious now! I am sure you surpassed your "nice driver" goal a long time ago!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 20:38:44 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

bpossel

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2008, 04:48:38 »
Hi Pat,
I guess you are looking for add'l photos beyond those posted on my website (address above)?  Please confirm.
I sort of "cherry picked" the ones that I posted, but do have a few more.  What specific areas are you looking for?
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by Shvegel

Bob,
Actually I've been meaning to ask you if you took alot of dissasembly pictures of your car? My car started out whole and I sent it off to Minnesota to a friend for what I thought was going to be a fairly intense body restore. Well, It started fairly well and now the front and rear suspension,driveline,dash, top and all the interior are out of the car, it currently has no fenders or quarter panels on it and I didn't take it apart.

I was wondering if you might be willing to share some of your photos?
Regards,
Pat Price

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

bpossel

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2008, 04:53:02 »
Thanks Joe!  It is an addictive adventure...  Its hard to know when to quit.  I keep saying...  "well, its all apart now....  now's the time to do it..? so the repair and expenses continue...
I hope that I will be able to drive my car when completed and not worry about it...
Thanks for all of your help!
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by ja17

Hello Bob,

Very impressive work on the engine. I am sure you are getting anxious now! I am sure you surpassed your "nice driver" goal a long time ago!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2008, 20:04:37 »
Bob,

I noticed that they painted over the serial number that is stamped into the inner wheel well.  On my car this was masked off showing bare metal.  Probably done to easily spot and not have paint fill in the numbers.  My engine compartment was never repainted by previous owners.  Sure is looking good Bob.

Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Light Ivory
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2008, 19:15:40 »
Hi Bob,

I was looking at your latest photos of your interior components, in particular the seats and I have a question.

When I saw the underside and the horsehair on yours it reminded me of my own seats which I assume have the original components because when I sit on them I sometimes feel like I'm sitting on a stack of newspapers. Not very comfortable and I seem to slide around on them on hard turns.

Are you going to replace the horsehair with original materials or go another route with something newer and possibly more comfortable\better? Or are you touching that at all? I'm back and forth about mine, if I start a project to improve the seats I'm thinking I might want to try and go the original pads one better because I'm guessing (and just guessing) that a newer solution could prove to be much more comfortable and feel like I'm with the car on turns and not sliding around on the seat.

Are you going to work on the seats other then the new color?

Mark
1970 280 SL Ivory/Cognac
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 19:19:33 by Mark280SL »
Mark

bpossel

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2008, 03:57:02 »
Hello Mark,

The previous owner had new horse hair pads installed, along with the current interior, prior to me purchsing the car 4 years ago.  Looks like he only replaced the seat pads, not the backs...

When the auto upholstery shop takes these seats apart, we'll see if new horse hair pads are needed on the backs.  As we know...  not really horse hair is used any longer... but they still call it that...
I did talk to the auto upholstery guy at length about exactly what you mention... needing more side support on the seat bottoms and backs.  He said that with the new "skins" there really isnt much add'l padding that they can do.  But they can add "some" add'l padding...  It will be a trial and error type of fitting as they install the new skins.  One thing they dont want to do is to over stretch the skins and cause any stress.
I'll keep you posted as we more forward on this.  I will also try and snap some pics of the seats, naked, and as they add some padding...
Bob  :)

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 03:58:24 by bpossel »

john.mancini

• Gold
  • USA: Nokomis, FL and Chatham, MA
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2008, 12:28:11 »
Hi Bob,
Wow, absolutely beautiful.  Great job. I have one observation. I have two low mileage 280SL's and both have never had the engines out. Both engine blocks are red. I have seen others with red but never black, unless they've been rebuilt. I would assume red is correct. Any thoughts?.... from others?
John
John
68 280SL 906 Blue 4-sp
69 280SL 906 Blue
70 280SL 904 Blue
70 280SL 571 Red
70 280SL 040 Black 4-sp
66 230SL 162 Blue/Grey 
68 280SL 568 Red 4-sp
69 280SL 304 Horizon Blue
65 230SL 519 Red 4-sp
83 911SC
98 911 cab
56 Ford F100
08 RS60
62 Corvette Fuelie
66 GT350H
67 GT350
70 LT1 conv

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2008, 15:28:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by john.mancini

.../..Both engine blocks are red. I have seen others with red but never black, unless they've been rebuilt. I would assume red is correct

Black is correct, red is wrong- On the outside that is. Innards of block are indeed red (glyptol)

/Hans in Sweden
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 15:30:44 by mbzse »
/Hans S

bpossel

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2008, 15:52:19 »
Hi John,

Thanks!  This discussion came up a while back and the discussion was that black was correct and red was the base color (glyptol) as mentioned.
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by john.mancini

Hi Bob,
Wow, absolutely beautiful.  Great job. I have one observation. I have two low mileage 280SL's and both have never had the engines out. Both engine blocks are red. I have seen others with red but never black, unless they've been rebuilt. I would assume red is correct. Any thoughts?.... from others?
John

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2008, 09:42:56 »
Is that true that the M130 engine block was painted with glyptol both inside and out from the factory? I know that glyptol is good for sealing the casting pores inside to allow for better oil return but had no idea that any MFG was using it. Originally, I believe it was developed for electric motor windings. Are there any other benefits to using it for engines?

Wallace Wheeler
Texas
'68 280 SE 111
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2008, 11:43:09 »
Hi, Bob,

quote:
After installing the new rear strut bolt (my old one was bent!), the tool really helped to align the rear axle. The 280mm length of the center piece seemd a bit too long? I ended up using a level to mark a line from the pivot pin bolt "punch mark" down to the bottom of the bolt. The end of the tool pointer then touched this mark and all lined up nicely!

Do you have a picture of the tool actually in use?

naj
68 280SL

hauser

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2008, 14:46:46 »
Bob, you're doing an excellent job along with documenting the entire process.  Very impressive!  I try to check in on your gallery once a week to see the progress.

Keep up the good work!!

bpossel

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2008, 18:25:54 »
Thanks Hauser!

Naj, I was going to take a pic of the tool in use, but it was hard to hold the tool in place.  I will try to still take a pic for the group.

Bob

Anfinn

« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2008, 13:45:41 »
Great work and documentation  :) , and a great help in my struggle to assemble mine again.

Where did you source the black air tube to the corner air vents? (Shown in the last picture in your May 25/24th-insert) I have as yet not found a source for these..

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 13:47:15 by Anfinn »

bpossel

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2008, 17:15:29 »
Hello Anfinn,

Thanks!  My black air tubes and heater/air pices are original to my car.  Did you try local MB dealer or SLS?
Good Luck, Bob

quote:
Originally posted by Anfinn

Great work and documentation  :) , and a great help in my struggle to assemble mine again.

Where did you source the black air tube to the corner air vents? (Shown in the last picture in your May 25/24th-insert) I have as yet not found a source for these..