Author Topic: Windscreen wipers jumps a little bit over the stop  (Read 6012 times)

Ulrik

Windscreen wipers jumps a little bit over the stop
« on: March 24, 2014, 20:40:58 »
I have a wonderfull question:

My wipers Works perfectly. They go exactly level at the bottom - but when I shut them off they just jump a little too far - stopping on their way up about 15 degrees from normal position alonside the bottom of the front screen.

Is that something you have tried to rectify before?

Cheers
Ulrik

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: Windscreen wipers jumps a little bit over the stop
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 23:30:13 »
I would loosen both then activate them and stop them. Once they stop line them up in the normal stop down position and tighten them again. See what this does for you.

Good luck.
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Ulrik

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 12:44:16 »
Hi Rolf-Dieter

I know what will happen for sure. Wiperarms would hit the bonnet. Its inside there must be some kind of stop that activates wrong.

Cheers
Ulrik

jeffc280sl

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 15:32:57 »
According to the wiring diagram there is a stop circuit in the motor that returns the wipers to the rest position after they are shut off at the stalk.  I suppose the contacts could be dirty at this point causing this problem.  My only suggestion is to remove the wiper motor to clean the contacts.  This is one of those jobs that can wait until you are doing other work that requires the under dashboard to come apart.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 18:53:54 »
Hi Rolf-Dieter

I know what will happen for sure. Wiperarms would hit the bonnet. Its inside there must be some kind of stop that activates wrong.

Cheers
Ulrik

I don't know if that would be the case as you assume. When I took my car to Williamsburg, VA last September (a 1600 mile roundtrip) the only item that went wrong with my car was the passenger side windshield wiper started to misbehave and ended up being loose while the driver side one continued operating okay until I had a chance to pull over in heavy rain on the express way. I stopped the wiper then retightened the passenger side one in the full stop position and all was fine after that.

That is why I recommended what I did to you above. Now I have a 1969 Pagoda 280SL manufactured in December 1968, yours might be different.
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 20:12:46 »
a mis-understsanding, maybe?  I think Rolf is correct.  Maybe if I write it differently?   Set the wiper arms at the stop position:  take both off, start the motor, stop the motor both with the stalk wiper switch.  The motor parks the wipers.  Now put the arms back on, aligned to the parked position.

Funny samethging happened to me, passenger side got loose and I panic stopped to correct it before I lost the whole arm in the storm!  Had to smile at my panic afterwards. 
Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S

Novamonte

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 09:28:17 »
This problem can't be resolved simply by repositioning the wiper arms on the axles. Ulrik is right - the wipers would hit the bonnet on their way to the stop position. This is a fix for another problem, when the wipers turn too early without getting sufficiently close to the lower edge of the windscreen.

This is another problem - the stop position of the wiper motor does not correspond to the turning point of the wipers. It can be fixer as follows:

1. Make sure that the wiper motor is in the stop position
2. Unscrew the nut at the end of the wiper motor axle (under the dash)
3. Release the arm attached to the axle (which goes tot he wiper linkage)
4. Reposition the arm so that the wipers are in their lowest position and put the nut back on.

Good luck!

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 12:11:44 »
I agree with Ulrik and Novamonte. Repositioning the wipers may have them go too low. The solution is the one described by Novamonte.

George Des

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 14:13:56 »
If Novamonte's recommendation does not solve your issue, it may be internal to the wiper motor. The switch circuit within the motor is mechnical and its operation will be apparent if you open up the lower end of the assembly. Often times cleaning up the grease and other accumulated junk in the area of the switching mechanism will fix the problem if this is the source of your issue.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 22:11:44 »
Yes,   
I would try the Novamonte fix first.  Caution, make sure the ignition is off, or better yet disconnect the battery. Otherwise the automatic parking feature of the wipers can cause them to come on when you are working on the linkage at the motor. Serious injury is possible if you get your hands caught in the linkage rods under the dash when the wipers activate.

Before you attempt the fix. Turn the wipers on and observe the wiper linkage operating, (at the motor under the dash). When you turn the wipers off, you will see that the motor continues until the wipers park. You will see the small linkage arm on the motor should be at dead center for park position. If your wipers are not parking in the correct place (dead center) follow the Novamonte fix. Remember to turn off the ignition key, or better yet, disconnect the battery before sticking your hands up in there.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback