Author Topic: Soft Top Seals - Replacement  (Read 2724 times)

dtuttle123

Soft Top Seals - Replacement
« on: December 31, 2006, 11:17:30 »
Some advice & expertise please from the group...on replacing the soft top seals.  I've scanned the forum, and have some advice listed below, but still have a few additional questions.

Here is what I have learned:

There are (4) seals - (2) sides for the window, (1) front, and (1) rear.  It would be advisable to replace the seals in conjunction with replacing the soft top - in other words, the seals need to come off when you replace the soft top, and may be damaged.  Some members have used adhesive on the front & back seals, others have not.  My front seal is a little loose, so I may end up using some adhesive here.

Question:

On the my vehicle, and the existing installation of the left and right soft top to window seal, the seals have been cut where the soft top bends (hinge) near the windshield - see attachment.  Is this correct, or should the seal be kept as a continuous piece?  Also any advice on where, or where not to use adhesive for the (4) seals.

Thanks, Doug

1967 250SL 4-Speed
Orient Red

Download Attachment: Soft Top Window Seal.JPG
18.16 KB

Ricardo

Re: Soft Top Seals - Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 12:04:41 »
Hi Doug
The side seals I bought were one piece, but if you don't cut them , they pull when folding the top and end up out of place, when you next raise the top. I also found that the top wouldn't fold well until I cut them, but I left them uncut in the middle of the top until I had folded the top a couple of times to be sure they were seated, then carefully sliced through them with a fresh OLFA blade. The thinner strips that run above the actual frame I left whole, though I feel I need to put a small cut in them to get them to fit better when the top is up, as there is a wing on the middle crossbow that holds the canvas above the side frames a little too high to make a good wind tight seal. The old style of foam strips are no longer available and the new ones taper more than needed on older style top frames, but still need a small cut to fit around this "wing" piece.

bpossel

Re: Soft Top Seals - Replacement
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 16:29:24 »
Hi Doug,

I would highly recommend replacing all of the seals along with the soft top.  You will be much happier in the end.  I removed my old canvas and all old rubber myself.  Then cleaned the frame and did some adjustments prior to having a professional install the canvas.
Good luck and post a picture with your new top!
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by dtuttle123

Some advice & expertise please from the group...on replacing the soft top seals.  I've scanned the forum, and have some advice listed below, but still have a few additional questions.

Here is what I have learned:

There are (4) seals - (2) sides for the window, (1) front, and (1) rear.  It would be advisable to replace the seals in conjunction with replacing the soft top - in other words, the seals need to come off when you replace the soft top, and may be damaged.  Some members have used adhesive on the front & back seals, others have not.  My front seal is a little loose, so I may end up using some adhesive here.

Question:

On the my vehicle, and the existing installation of the left and right soft top to window seal, the seals have been cut where the soft top bends (hinge) near the windshield - see attachment.  Is this correct, or should the seal be kept as a continuous piece?  Also any advice on where, or where not to use adhesive for the (4) seals.

Thanks, Doug

1967 250SL 4-Speed
Orient Red

Download Attachment: Soft Top Window Seal.JPG
18.16 KB

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320